Aggressive rooster

gooch53

Hatching
Nov 18, 2015
Were new to the backyard chickens. Had a good friend that had some family troubles and we sort of adopted there chickens. Theres 7 total, 1 buff orpington rooster, 4 buff orpington hens, 1 rhode island red hen and 1 black australorpe. There all about the same age, about 8 or 9 months old. They hens all are laying eggs great, 4 or 5 eggs daily. The problem is the rooster has suddenly became aggressive toward our 2 year old grandaughter. She was the only one he did this to until a couple of days ago, now its my wife also, he charges her every time she goes into the run. Im not sure what to do, I don't really want to get rid of him because he seems to really protect the hens. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do? Thanks in advance for any advice

Yes, and that is a classic behavior, in that he attacks children first, then women, and your turn is coming. He can be quite dangerous to a small child. Imagine getting down on your knees as he is coming toward you. A bad rooster has ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. It is not fun to be flogged by a rooster. If you want the hens protected, build a better coop/run set up.

The solution is to cull him. You will not be able to trust him around anyone. There will be some on here that will recommend training, but generally speaking it is not real successful. If you have your granddaughter with you often, it is really not worth her eyes or face badly scratched.

I strongly recommend first year chicken people to have hens only, roosters take a little experience. An all hen flock is good place to start, you can always add a rooster later, they are easy to come by. The trick to having a good rooster is a sharp knife. Cull the bad ones quickly. They are a crap shoot, some turn out great, and some don't.

Mrs K

I agree with Mrs K. Ordinarily, I urge people to try to rehabilitate the rooster, but when there's a toddler in the picture, it's just not a good idea to keep the unpredictable roo around. He has the potential to do great harm to a child, and I've seen rooster injuries that have sent an adult male to the ER.

If you would rather not butcher the rooster, try posting an ad on Craig's list or local radio station. Lots of folks are looking for a rooster for their flock and would give him a good home.

Eat him yourself, or send him off to someone who wants a nice dinner. Don't think he'll be a good guy somewhere else; full disclosure if you send him elsewhere. Nice roosters are great, jerks are for the crockpot. Mary

I'm just gonna give you another option if you want one, keep him penned up especially around kids, than get a good chicken catching net, I use one of my husband's fishing nets with a long handle and use it to block and catch him, eventually he'll run when he sees it. Never turn your back on him, it is possible he will settle down after a bit, but I would always make sure he's penned up when kids are around.

Were new to the backyard chickens. Had a good friend that had some family troubles and we sort of adopted there chickens. Theres 7 total, 1 buff orpington rooster, 4 buff orpington hens, 1 rhode island red hen and 1 black australorpe. There all about the same age, about 8 or 9 months old. They hens all are laying eggs great, 4 or 5 eggs daily. The problem is the rooster has suddenly became aggressive toward our 2 year old grandaughter. She was the only one he did this to until a couple of days ago, now its my wife also, he charges her every time she goes into the run. Im not sure what to do, I don't really want to get rid of him because he seems to really protect the hens. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do? Thanks in advance for any advice

I heard some just took a broom or something and just waved it at him and chased him with it and they did that every once in a while to show him who is boss and they dident have any problems with it again

And after using the hatchet, make chicken and dumplings......
I agree on the hatchet, but enchiladas sound better. Spicy cockerel enchiladas were on tonight's menu. Mmmmmm.

To the OP, he is not safe around your granddaughter. He needs to go, either as your dinner or someone else's. A good flock protector is one who does not view humans as a threat.

Back
Top Bottom