Aggressive Rooster

Sam and Beth

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2018
My rooster Crush has recently become way more aggressive than when i first got him. Which was around three month ago and he was around one years old.He has alway protected his hens but now he is attacking me for no reason and he is now pecking the hens and pulling out their feathers. I am now really worried that he is going to end up killing my hens and i don't know what to do. I only have one rooster and 16 hens. I have never hit or kicked my rooster i just block him with a broom are a snow shovel. When i have two pairs of gloves on occasionally i try to pick him up and hold him in a way to calm him down but he is so fast i am unable to do it every time. Does anyone know what to do with a really aggressive rooster i really don't want to end up with dead hens. Any help will be really appreciated. thank you so much.

Cull him. A cockerel who is disrespectful of you and the hens is of no use to you, and if he is this bad, you will not be able to train him successfully. I would expect this sort of behaviour from a younger cockerel under one year, but a grown-up should know better.

There are too many good cockerels out there looking for a home for anyone to keep a wrong'un, imo.

It sounds like he thinks you and the hens have become too friendly with each other. He is punishing them and trying to drive you off. Sometimes it is genetic. Try not to get too close to the hens and don't handle them except for at night.
In the end, he may have to meet the soup pot.
The friendliest of roosters are often those that are most human aggressive because they aren't afraid of you.

That sure sounds like what happened with Leroy. =( Remember that saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt?" Leroy was one of the most beautiful roos we'd ever seen, so I'd been digging through the threads on here for a month. Seems like the folks who have the best luck with their roos keep them at an arm's reach from the very beginning? The more we handled him, the worse Leroy got, to the point where he'd slam into the side of the cage whenever we'd come out of the house. =(View attachment 1416767
Pretty boy, but a turd nonetheless.
I've raised several hundred roosters, about 20 of those were various breeds including egg, meat, DP and exotics. This may be anecdotal, but the only breed that attacked me were Plymouth Rocks.
I don't handle my birds unless absolutely necessary. I don't walk directly toward them unless absolutely necessary. I move slowly around them. The bulk of the roosters I've raised are Black Penedesencas. As a breed, they are very skittish, wary and aloof birds that avoid human contact. I've never been attacked by one and none have ever given me the stink eye. They're just not that into you. Incredible flock protectors.
I have had a couple hens attack me when I grabbed one of her chicks. It reminded me of a sow when you grab one of her piglets.
All chicken handling here is done after dusk.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that I keep them at arms length, per-say, but I definitely try to teach them who is boss. There are subtle hints that they may start to think themselves as top dog; they may try to dance at you, or crow or breed hens in front of you. This kind of behaviour shouldn't be tolerated; think of yourself as top rooster. If he does any of these things, walk towards him, arms akimbo, and don't back down. If he tries to make a go at you, give him a good kick (not full blown, just with the base of your foot). Sounds harsh, I know, but if you think of the bloody fights cockerels have with each other, it's fairly tame.

At first when we first got Crush he never attacked me unless i picked up a hen.But ever since we moved him and the hens to there new fenced in area he has been extra aggressive with me and the hens. Right now i have him separate from the hens just to insure that he does not harm them anymore.When he used to attack or try to attack i would block him or tell him in a very forward voice to back off and he normally would but now he just keeps coming. i really don't want to have to put him down or give him away unless there really is nothing i can do.
There's your sign!

You can break him of the aggression but it will require some time, a tough hide on your part, and likely a pen to confine him in during the breaking process. Tonight I will post a setup I have used with a man-fighting game rooster. Nearly two years later he is good to handle, but I will not stress hens in his presence to prevent a relapse.

That sure sounds like what happened with Leroy. =( Remember that saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt?" Leroy was one of the most beautiful roos we'd ever seen, so I'd been digging through the threads on here for a month. Seems like the folks who have the best luck with their roos keep them at an arm's reach from the very beginning? The more we handled him, the worse Leroy got, to the point where he'd slam into the side of the cage whenever we'd come out of the house. =(
Leroy.JPG

Back
Top Bottom