Aggressive rooster

busymomof4

Chirping
Mar 19, 2019
I am looking for help with my newly aggressive rooster.
He is an almost 1 year old sapphire gem i raised Him as a baby.
He had been very sweet and docile to everyone including the hens.
This was until about 6 months ago when he was aggressive to my son then to me. Then it stopped and started again.
Aggressive being fluffing his feathers and pecking at me enough to draw blood through my clothes. I stomped my feet and yelled.
Well yesterday he was pacing the fence when i was on the outside, when i went in he followed me and attacked my leg, i kicked him away and he came back even harder, jumping at me.
Is there anything i can do to
Stop or improve his behavior?

This was until about 6 months ago when he was aggressive to my son then to me. Then it stopped and started again.
Aggressive being fluffing his feathers and pecking at me enough to draw blood through my clothes. I stomped my feet and yelled.
Well yesterday he was pacing the fence when i was on the outside, when i went in he followed me and attacked my leg, i kicked him away and he came back even harder, jumping at me.
I had a roo that was like that. He liked to wait til my back was turned then he would flog me. After he spurred my calf muscle and I couldn’t walk for two days, we had chicken for dinner. I don’t wait for them to get bad, I have one in the freezer now. With a child involved, I would be thinking of side dishes!!!
Don’t get me wrong, I love my Roos, I have 4.

I had a roo that was like that. He liked to wait til my back was turned then he would flog me. After he spurred my calf muscle and I couldn’t walk for two days, we had chicken for dinner. I don’t wait for them to get bad, I have one in the freezer now. With a child involved, I would be thinking of side dishes!!!
Don’t get me wrong, I love my Roos, I have 4.
Thank you!
Yes I am so worried about his unpredictability! I love him too but it’s just too risky!
I think he needs to go!

You might have to cull him, but if that's not an option for you, you can try to mount him. You just pin him to the ground for around a minute and continue everyday for about a week. I dont know how well it works, but it tamed one of my aggressive roos.
Thank you. I don’t want to see him culled but I don’t know if I can try to tame him.

Sorry about your roo. I had to give my roo his own bachelor pad for awhile. However, he has never been aggressive with me. He was roughing up the girls a bit and I wanted to give them a timeout until their feathers come back. As angry as he was when I put him in his separate quarters, he was never aggressive towards me. If you think you can rehabilitate him, then try. I've learned through this community that Spring time apparently ramps up the cockerel's libido and he just needs time to mature.

I have a similar thread about one of my boys. I love him, I raised him from a chick, but he’s gotten progressively more hateful and at this point has attacked me, my boyfriend, both of my sisters, my sister’s boyfriend, and my cousin. He got me yesterday and broke skin with either his claws or spurs and I had always said that if he broke skin and made me bleed he was either going to find a new home or be culled. I have made the decision to cull him; and it’s not a sudden decision either. I’ve been working on trying to get him to be nicer and nothing has worked, so tomorrow morning he’s going to see his last sunrise if he makes it that late in the day. It’s not an easy decision, but if you can’t get him to calm down, and he’s harassing your son as well, he needs to go.

I should also add; my rooster is also only a little over a year old. He, too, started a little under six months ago and I let it continue for this long. I’ve kicked him numerous times, thrown things at him, he generally stays away after the first kick but he’s been known to return with more vengeance.

Back
Top Bottom