Aggressive Rooster

RCP John

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
I have a 20 month Rooster and 7 hens. My rooster has become very aggressive when I come into the run to change out water and add new feed. I've tried being forceful with him to show who is boss. Nothing has worked and it is only getting worse. I enjoy raising and taking care of the chickens, but this is spoiling the enjoyment. What are my options? Is there places in Colorado that take roosters? thanks, John

- Post an add on Craigslist or at your local feed store if they allow it. You must disclose his aggression issues to any potential taker.

- Eat him.

- Offer him up as "dinner" for someone else to eat him (this is the usual recommendation in my area).

Last edited:
Try holding him and petting him. Trying to show him who's boss is only going to make him more aggressive.
Yes, I did this in the beginning and from 3 weeks on. He was the best chicken of the bunch. He just changed over night. I couldn't think of even getting close to him now. He jumps up and tries to stab me with his claws. I have to enter the run with a long stick and a trash can lid. Not enjoyable to me. The 7 hens are dolls and I love there attention and taking care of them.

Yes, I did this in the beginning and from 3 weeks on. He was the best chicken of the bunch. He just changed over night. I couldn't think of even getting close to him now. He jumps up and tries to stab me with his claws. I have to enter the run with a long stick and a trash can lid. Not enjoyable to me. The 7 hens are dolls and I love there attention and taking care of them.
Yikes! Rehome him then getting a non-aggressive rooster, such as a brown leghorn

I want to ask, is it possible that night predators are in the area and making him act this way, due to being rattled by them?

I wouldn't let this ruin your love of raising animals.

In schools you see this where kids learn to hate school or resent authority. And after this happens its a completely different life for them. I think this is useful to compare to. Before people learn to resent and hate school, they are all sweet and nice and everything is wonderful. Then it becomes a nightmare after they hate it. Don't let this happen to your animal raising.

So based on this I would switch out the rooster to something else. With ducks there are always people giving up extra drakes. I see this in free classifieds (or for cheap). I wonder if that's the same thing for roosters?

Question for the others, but related to this topic;

Aren't there specific breeds that are more gentle than others (chickens)? This might help the OP.

Back
Top Bottom