Aggressive Rooster

I have a similar problem, but my rooster is man-aggressive. He attacks my father, and Dad, being old-school cowboy *beat it into submission* type, he kicks the rooster. I think this started because Dad was crowing at Toby, and Toby has taken this to mean he's a rival. Recently, Toby's started jumping on Dad from behind. Should I cull this bird because Dad taunts him?
My kids and I crow at our roosters all the time. No one attacks us. I have a zero tolerance for aggressive roosters. I won't allow a dog to snap at a child who annoys him, I don't see how a rooster is any different.

Aggression against humans is easy to fix. When the chicken runs at you, chase it. Flail your arms. Push the chicken down to the ground (gently) for 10-20 seconds. You're simply letting the bird know that you (or your child) supersede it in the pecking order.

The bigger problem I've seen, is that the aggressor might turn on the other chickens. That's much harder to deal with. Once that happens, try to find it a new home. If introduced into another flock, aggressors may assume a less dominant role in the pecking order and reduce their aggression. Your other option is to cull. It's a difficult choice, but worth it to have peace in the flock.

In my 40+ years of raising chickens the showing the rooster who is boss doesn't always work. Actually I think it fails more than it works. It may work for a little while but eventually "Mr. Big Stuff" tries to show you or your kids he is the boss.
I also rehoming a rooster to another flock with a rooster generally does not work. Also why give someone else your problem and don't reproduce the trait of aggression. There are too many roosters who know their place as second in command.
Culling is usually the best option.

I say cull dad.
lau.gif

I have 3 adolescent roosters in the flock with 5 older hens, away from where my grandchildren play. I got them from a gal who had too many but who had picked them up and pestered them regularly as they were growing up. I pick them up and move them around at night, or chase them and catch and hold and take photos about once a week, and they are giving me plenty of space even though they are mating with the hens. I don't know if the balance of aggression between each other neutralizes aggression toward me or not, but I am doing something right, and until they are big enough for a really good dinner I'm trying to hold off on culling.

I have an Americauna roo out of my first chicks. Then, I got a Lavender Orphington roo. Last spring i got chicks and 2 turned out to be buff orphington roos. My Americauna is the Alpha male and we all except that. The LO is so gentle and curious about us. He will walk around following us and acting like he listens to us. So sad thou, he got frost bite for the first time on his comb pretty bad. Now my BOs are grown and running the ladies like crazy, I mean to cull them whenever I can. This last week our LO started being agressive towards us. He still likes to follow me but now Im scared to turn my back on him. If I get the BOs out now will the LO calm down again you think? Do you think the frost bite turned him, maybe it hurts him and he's in pain? Will removing their spurs change their attitudes like neutering?

Just wondering, cause I want my sweet LO back.

If you remove the alpha rooster, the lesser roosters will take his spot. Like a dictator, not every leader is ideal. The new leader could be worse than your other boys.

The cute following you isnt his being nice, he is being protective and watchful of his territory. He is tolerating your presence. Now that he has gotten the courage to make his first move, he will likely continue the behavior.

Until he shows dangerous aggression, I would go out every morning and knab him and pick him up and carry him around for a few minutes. After a while, he will grow to hate being picked up and hopefully will avoid you. If not, he will do the opposite and become more aggressive. There is no grey area with a rooster. Either he is going to be nasty or he is going to be nice. There is no in between. His personality is already set. It is already in his head how he wants to be and its just a matter of time before he sets off and hurts someone seriously if he chooses to be nasty. If you show your dominance while he is young, he may realize he isnt "all that", if you are lucky. But if you show fear and hesitation, hes going to sense that and use it to boss you around. He doesnt know he is the perfect size to fit in the roaster. He thinks he is King Kong.

Its up to you to decide how far you are willing to let him go.

If you remove the alpha rooster, the lesser roosters will take his spot. Like a dictator, not every leader is ideal. The new leader could be worse than your other boys.

The cute following you isnt his being nice, he is being protective and watchful of his territory. He is tolerating your presence. Now that he has gotten the courage to make his first move, he will likely continue the behavior.

Until he shows dangerous aggression, I would go out every morning and knab him and pick him up and carry him around for a few minutes. After a while, he will grow to hate being picked up and hopefully will avoid you. If not, he will do the opposite and become more aggressive. There is no grey area with a rooster. Either he is going to be nasty or he is going to be nice. There is no in between. His personality is already set. It is already in his head how he wants to be and its just a matter of time before he sets off and hurts someone seriously if he chooses to be nasty. If you show your dominance while he is young, he may realize he isnt "all that", if you are lucky. But if you show fear and hesitation, hes going to sense that and use it to boss you around. He doesnt know he is the perfect size to fit in the roaster. He thinks he is King Kong.

Its up to you to decide how far you are willing to let him go.

I agree completely.

Back
Top Bottom