Aggressive Tendencies (a questionnaire) What are your observations?

barg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
This is an attempt to gain some semi scientific information on Aggressive Tendencies in the brooder and the coop.
Since I am the first post, the questions will be slanted toward my personal situation.
Feel free to add your own questions to this post.

I am defineing "aggressive" in terms of their behavior toward each other. Including Pecking, chest bumping, flapping at each other etc..

1. In the Brooder: Have you had aggressive birds?
If Yes, what color light are you useing?
If No, what color light are you useing?

2. Have you owned a Golden Laced Wyandotte?
If yes, were they aggressinve toward other chicks while in the brooder (1-10 weeks old)

3. Have you noticed more agressive behavior in the brooder (1-10 weeks)or in the coop (Older pullets and hens)

4. In what breeds have you noticed the most Aggressive Tendencies; And What color light were you useing
wink.png

5. What other observations do you have on Aggressive Tendencies?
Thats All I have.
Again, Feel free to add your own questions.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm doing this right....
hmm.png

1. No
Clear and infra-red light

2. No

3. Coop, but I also have roos

4. Of gold sex links and Americaunas I've had, it would be the latter. Never had problems with the gsls, but the Americaunas aren't too bad anymore, really.
No light in the coop

5. Well, of course, more roos=more stress= more fighting.

1. Very little aggression ... I started with regular white light bulb and went to no light at a few weeks (florida in an un-air-conditioned room) so they had sunlight.

2. No

3. Chicks only 5 weeks now. BUT in the brooder, only 2 types were aggressive. When I daily put them in the run outside, it seems about half face off for a second or two here and there as they are all coming in.

4. In the brooder only the partridge rock banties and the silver penciled banties acted aggressively, and most of the time it was directed at others of those 2 breeds. (Same for the first week outside, only those 2 breeds acted aggressively.) White light and sunlight in brooder.

5. I think I am experiencing very little aggression in a mixed flock of 26 compared to what others describe. I do usually see banty aggression directed at other banties, and standard aggression directed at other standards. If not, the banties go after the standards more often than the other way round. These breeds of banties (rocks) are also the ones that most hate to be picked up and are hardest of everyone to catch.

I have had a few (standards only) that seemed to be challenging ME when I am in the pen with them.

my very limited experience.
smile.png

Good Egg

1. No aggression in brooder. Incandescent white.

2. Yes. No, not aggressive in the brooder.

3. More aggressive in the coop.

4. My 6 girls are 12 wks. The Wyandotte and the Turken do some of chest- butting. Less so w/ the BRs. In general they all seem to get on OK.

5. Aggression in our camp is limited to chest-butting w/ accompanied wing flapping. The whole thing lasts about 2 seconds and then they play together for hours w/ no problems.

Of my chickens,
The first round included two australorps and two dominiques.
They didnt fight at all until they were out in the coop, and then it was only One of the dominiques chaseing the other dominique around.

However on round 2, My wyandotte, which seemed to start out as the lower on the pecking order, is now bossing around my EE.
Constantly pecking at my EE, she seems to be pretty aggressive despite the fact that the EE is significantly larger then she is.
/jul12a.jpg
I recently took the Red heat lamp away and replaced it with a white bulb.
They are about 5 weeks old now.

I'm not sure what prompted the recent behavior change, maybe its the change in temperature around here, yesterday we set an all time record high for this area.

1.No. Red heatlight.

2.No, had Silver laced Wyandottes. No aggression in the brooder.

3.In the coop. I have roosters...

4. Japanese Bantam females, mine are very cranky, don't like other birds near them. Americauna/EE males mine have all been aggresive to the point I couldn't keep them in the flock...

5.Just with the roosters fighting over territory, girls, etc....

The only truly aggressive chicks I ever had were four Delawares and they weren't in a brooder at the time. They were about 4 weeks old, I think. They attacked seven Speckled Sussex and one Ameraucana, plucking their tails and backs in two hours time. There was no light, only sunlight at the time it happened. I don't count the regular sparring to establish pecking order as aggression.

Well, here goes.

1. No, and we used a red light
2. No, mine are silver
3. I have had more aggressive behaviour in the coop, with my two SLWs pecking on poor Eleanor
4. None of my girls I would classify as truly aggressive, but my SLWs tend to be more snippy-acting than the others, just natural daylight in the coop
5. I don't have experience enough with that to have observations at this point.

Quote:
I’m actually referring to regular sparring more then truely hostile aggression, but I’m kind of trying to look at the various factors involved with that.
I believe that my Wyandotte is doing exactly that kind of behavior , its just a bit more extreme then the relatively docile chickens I’ve had before.

Which leads me to question wether there are other things that might contribute to that behavior.

Back
Top Bottom