1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive Tom

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by scrambledmess, Mar 9, 2012.

1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I tried to hatch a bunch of turkeys last year and only got ONE :( He free ranges with our chickens. In the last month, he has become very aggressive. I am pretty sure I already know the answer to this next question, but I am going to ask it anyway. If I get him his own hens, will this calm him down?

He has attacked my husband and my older boys. But I have 3 small children who are afraid to go out in the yard. I really did not want to have to pen him up or put him to the butcher block. But summer is coming and I can't have the kids locked in the house either.

Is it just cause spring is coming and he might settle as it warms up some?

Any suggestions appreciated!

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Probably so. He needs a girlfriend(s).

3. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I think I found someone to get girls from :) We also herded him into a pen on Saturday so we could do yard work. The next day, he wouldn't come near anyone and we didn't have to pen him up. So I might have found a solution until the girls get big enough to hang out with him. Every time he is bad, he will get herded and penned up for the day. See if he is capable of learning ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by