Aggressive Tom

kristen2678

Songster
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
North Berwick Maine
Hi Everyone. First time turkey owner here. We raised a pair of Royal Palms from poults this spring. They are mature and the tom is becoming aggressive. He's fine with me but not child or stranger safe. They've been living with the chickens peacefully until now. The tom has been attacking my rooster. I've dealt with aggressive roosters before but never a turkey. Is this just adolescent behavior or a prelude to mating season, or is he just a jerk? He's gorgeous and I'm trying to save Mike from being Christmas dinner. Thanks.

Yes. One female. That's what I'm wondering. If it's like my gander, who's a bear in season, but sweet otherwise. Is that how it works with turkeys or is it different?

well, what i think is they are maybe fighting over her or something else. possibly just rivalry. did something upset them?

Either serve up the bony boy for Christmas, or put up a separate run/pen for your pair of turkeys. Even a Royal jake can do damage to/kill a rooster &/or try to cover your chicken hens. The "boy" is feeling his hormones (~7months old) and is to be expected to try to scare up SOME kind of sparring partner to practice with.

We heard a terrible racket (like hail striking the sliding glass window to the back deck) and found all three of our jakes having it out with their reflections (did distract them from having it out with one another until chased back into the yard).

Back
Top Bottom