Agressive Flock

Quote:
We do have a smaller house which I have now set up as the naughty house. I will separate the aggressors into that house for a couple of days and then try re-introducing them one at a time and see if that helps and switch the pecking order around some.

The 12 week olds aren’t really any smaller then the adult hens now. When they are together the only way to tell them apart is the adult hens have larger combs. The thing with the new chicks is for lack of a better word, their CHICKENS! They are not brave at all, or very curious about things. The adults when they were chicks were curious about everything they would check things out and get into everything. This new batch won’t even come out of the pen with out me physically moving them out. They have been able to leave the pen for about 2 weeks now and they will only put one foot out the door and that’s it. They are also very capable of defending themselves and just won’t do it and Giant the one that’s getting the wrath of it is larger than all the chickens but she’s the biggest CHICKEN of them all.

Quote:
To Choochick,

They are in a 6' W X 8' L X 7' H house with 3 windows and a Dutch door, 9, 12"x12" next boxes and 12, 8"x8" nest boxes, an 8' long roost stick and 2, 3' corner roost sticks. The pen is 10' W x 10' L X 5' H. with 3 10' roost sticks. They have a 3 1/2 gallon waterer and 2, 7lb feeders in the pen and 2 other waterers around the yard. Over the summer I move their food out of the pen. They are free ranged everyday all day long. They get let out around 6:30 am and are locked back up around 5:30 pm in the winter and let out around 6:00 am and locked back up around 9:30pm in the summer. I top off there feeders and waterer at night when I lock them up during the winter and in the morning during the summer. They always have access to food and water. They are feed a mixture of layer feed, scratch grains, shelled sunflower seeds, old-fashioned oats, dry cat food and oyster shells for the winter to get extra protein and then a mixture of layer feed and scratch grain in the summer. They also get treats of either raw venison, canned cat food or a variety of fruit and vegetables once or twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom