1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Agressive Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PoppiesChicks, May 7, 2011.

1. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I have a black cooper maran hen that seems agressive. When I go in the coop she comes at me and she even flies at the window when she sees me outside. What can I do to make her more tame? I have kids that want to collect eggs but I'm afraid she will go after then and that will be the end of the kids liking the chickens. Help!!!

2. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh boy, we had a New Hampshire hen like that when I was a kid! Her name was Ranuncula, but we called her Knuckles. She bit, she chased, she was just a mean girl. If you stood up to her, she'd come back twice as nasty as before. Finally we had to re-home her. Her new people didn't have any trouble with her, but I think it may have had something to do with the fact that Knuckles was no longer the top bird in the pen. She had a young rooster and a pair of peafowl penned with her, and if she acted up, they straightened her out.

Can you try penning her separately with a bigger bird or a roo?

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would rehome a hen like that with kids around.

Seriously.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by