Agressive Rooster Dragging Hens

Aug 21, 2020
Hello! I have a 13 week old flock, 8 pullets, 4 roosters (bad ratio, I know, still deciding which roosters to keep). I have one rooster who is aggressive, but only towards the hens, grabbing them by the neck and dragging them around. The other roosters are not aggressive at all, towards each other, or the hens. Will this behavior escalate? Get better? Is he the one who I get rid of?
I also have 7 older laying hens that aren't with the littles yet. Should I move him with them?
Thanks!

Personally, I would get rid of him unless he's a breed you really, really want to have. I would get rid of two roosters, consider keeping two, and eventually settle on one. Others here will have different opinions and much more experience with roosters, but the path of least resistance would be to rehome him (letting whoever takes him know about his behavior), cull or process him. Good luck!

We recently got rid of a young roo that would grab our hens face and twist her around. He was awful and we quickly got rid of him, but his brother was much nicer ( we still have him). I much agree with the previous comment as far as removing roos you know don't work in the flock, narrowing it down as much as possible. Best wishes!

Hello! I have a 13 week old flock, 8 pullets, 4 roosters (bad ratio, I know, still deciding which roosters to keep). I have one rooster who is aggressive, but only towards the hens, grabbing them by the neck and dragging them around. The other roosters are not aggressive at all, towards each other, or the hens. Will this behavior escalate? Get better? Is he the one who I get rid of?
I also have 7 older laying hens that aren't with the littles yet. Should I move him with them?
Thanks!
Cockerels mature more quickly than pullets. He's ready to start mating, and dominating the pullets and they are months away from being mature enough for that. At some point you may see the same behaviors from the other males as well as fighting between them.

If you do want to keep one of the males, for now I would separate all 4 from the pullets. Keep them in their own pen or try putting them in with the mature hens. It's likely they'd whoop some manners into those juvenile delinquents. Then you can observe their behaviors and decide which one to keep. If any.

Back
Top Bottom