Agressive Royal Palm Hen

Igmu89

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 9, 2013
I have a 2.5 year old Royal Palm hen. This past spring she began to get really aggressive. Last year she started showing some odd habits - like following me around and puffing up just like a mini Tom. (it was kinda funny when she'd do that)

I had to put my Tom down this summer - he was crippled and now it's just her.

However, she started this behavior well before I put him down.

She's particularly aggressive towards my mother and I - the only two females around here other than the hens.

She's being housed with 6 hens and I just adopted a Rooster from the pound to see if it was something to do with the fact my Rooster had died over the winter and now the Tom - so maybe she was picking up on that "protector" roll.

She is a beautiful bird and I really hate to have her this way - she flogs me, chases me and fluffs up and does the soft OoOooo around me - but doesn't show off like a Tom anymore.

When the men come out she doesn't flog or chase them, but she does squat from time to time in front of my son - hubba hubba (lol)

I can't sort out WHAT she wants from me.

I don't want another tom - they eat too much.

I just don't want to get rid of her or pin her up for the rest of her life. They are all free range and I think it would be cruel.

Thoughts? Ways to calm her down?

I've tried holding her, I've tried forcing her to submit by placing my hand on her back, I've separated her and kept her pinned up,

Nothing works. I'm at a total loss.

Thanks for reading!

oh, my. Well, i had a couple turkeys who were best pals, but the boy died young, and his sister died shortly after due to loneliness and blackhead.
hit.gif
SO SAD!!!!

I don't know what to say, other than i'm sorry. Perhaps you could try taming her? I mean, going u to her slowly, petting her for at least 15 minutes a day, rubbing her back, massaging her wings...ect. I now this may seem weird, but believe it or not, i tamed my MEAN rooster this way. He used to run up and jump on me, and they scratch and bite me, but after only 3 days of what i described up top, he began to let me around him, and he even let me hold him! I think my method is worth a try. It's worked with my bucks, (Male rabbits), before too. Hope it works for you little baby girl! good luck!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom