agri-cillin on chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klf73, Feb 5, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Hi,
    I had posted for help on an antibiotic for my chickens swollen foot. The first thing they sent dh home with was something that was used more for respiratory infections. I went back and asked for penicillin. The guy sold me the agri-cillin to use. I got home(didn't have time to read in store) and it is used for large livestock. It says 1ml per 100lbs. I can figure out how much to use, but wanted to make sure it is ok to use this on my girl.....any help greatly appreciated [​IMG]

eta- label says Penicillin G Procaine....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I don't know but, Bump.

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    they didn't have the liquid in the bottle (injectable)?

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yes, it is injectable. It says 1 ml for 100lbs. I can get the right dosage but wanted to make sure the med was ok.

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I use a"combi-pen" vaccine (injectible) which has a mixture of antibiotics. I use it with success on chickens, hogs and goats, and rabbits. I use it for drops in the eyes on eye infections. Dosage is good! When that does not work I had to use a battery of dosages during the day on one of our goats that acquired pinkeye and I thought would be permanently blind. After no results on 1 dose /day for 4 days I gave her a dose every 8 hours for 4 days. I also give vitamins and probiotics during this time. She came through fine; she has always been the the weekest goat when it comes to immunity. I have had customers that were hesitant on injectibles until they have me do it to their chickens. They say that is all there is to it! I also just had a Buff that was attacked by a cat, ripped her leg pretty bad and had some muscle dammageand very dirty. I did not know how much blood that she had lost when I found her. I cleaned the wound and 16 stitches, put her in the basement but did not give antibiotics. She developed gangreen and wished that I had given penicillin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by