Agriculture dept... Mail with threat

The results are confidential same as the regular census. The results are published on a county-wide basis, not on a farm by farm basis. I'm a planner and zoning administrator and we use the results regularly for planning and zoning purposes. The regular ag census is done every five years in years ending in a "2" or a "7". If you file farm tax returns, you could possibly get the questionnaire. These numbers are used to determine farmland preservation, residential densities, and even business plans for feed stores and chicken processing businesses. I would encourage you to fill out and return the form.

Have you gotten one of these forms they ask for alot more than a normal cences if you have have you returned it? I've gotten one of them every year, Are the results made public I've never herd of where you can find them.

Last edited:
If you buy your feed at places such as Tractor Supply and you are tax exempt for farm or ranch purposes, how do you think you get to stay tax exempt? You legally have to report or they pull your tax exempt status. I don't really care for Uncle Sam to know every detail of my life, but I also do not wish to break the law and risk losing what I have by ending up in jail or having to pay fines. There is also the afore mentioned point that if as agriculturists we do not stay visible, our zoning laws WILL change and we WILL lose the right and priviledge to raise our animals where we currently live. Like it or lump it... there are consequenses to everything we do.

If you manage your farm & your livestock well why are you worried about a census form?
Did your chickens illegally immigrate from Mexico?

If you buy your feed at places such as Tractor Supply and you are tax exempt for farm or ranch purposes, how do you think you get to stay tax exempt? You legally have to report or they pull your tax exempt status. I don't really care for Uncle Sam to know every detail of my life, but I also do not wish to break the law and risk losing what I have by ending up in jail or having to pay fines. There is also the afore mentioned point that if as agriculturists we do not stay visible, our zoning laws WILL change and we WILL lose the right and priviledge to raise our animals where we currently live. Like it or lump it... there are consequenses to everything we do.

Tax exempt is up to the state you live in, here you need to make a living off your farm, there is a %age but I'm not sure what it is, I don't quality, and I live on a 100 acre farm, with over 200 chickens, it has nothing to do with your acreage, amount of animals, it's the money. how can some with let's say chickens stay visible if they have to hide them in the basement???

Sometimes it's the big food producers (see Monsanto and ConAgra) that want to keep folks from growing their own food without paying them some sort of royalty. They buy Congress and get laws like that passed. Check out the movie Food Inc and see how they destroy farrmers that use heirloom seed by contaminating it with their GMO garbage and then sue the farmer for saving their own seed.

Its so they know who to come take from when the SHTF. So tired of big government. Your not asking for a government hand out so they should not need to know. To many laws and rules in place keeping honest good people from just doing what they do to take care of their family. Government needs to just get out of the way of the common citizen.

Last edited:
Tax exempt is up to the state you live in, here you need to make a living off your farm, there is a %age but I'm not sure what it is, I don't quality, and I live on a 100 acre farm, with over 200 chickens, it has nothing to do with your acreage, amount of animals, it's the money. how can some with let's say chickens stay visible if they have to hide them in the basement???

I think if I were you, I would check a little deeper into this. I know people here where I live with 25 acres that are zoned "agricultural". They own horses and are not making 1 dime off their land. bUt different states have different laws. It makes a difference on property tax in a BIG way. Like you pay about 1/4 the amount as if it were zoned residential. I know if I owned 100 acres with 200 chickens I'd be making some $$ on paper anyway. You know if you rent your ground out to another farmer, that still counts.

I have checked, but with us we get one heck of a discount on land taxes, an example, 5.42 acres farm $19.66 same acreage as hobby farm/recreational over $2000.00, the farm min acreage is 5 but even if you have over that 5 acres in a sub-division with animals its a hobby farm, ouch

Back
Top Bottom