Ah! is this just molting???

coltsfoot

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Is she molting...? We're worried. We thought they were molting a few months ago but it didn't look nearly close to this. She is missing feathers mainly around her vent area and breast but also small patches around her legs and sides...

Thank you!!

cf

Is she molting...? We're worried. We thought they were molting a few months ago but it didn't look nearly close to this. She is missing feathers mainly around her vent area and breast but also small patches around her legs and sides...

Thank you!!

cf
Yep.its molting.shes lookin pretty homely there!

Ours are finishing I think. Jeckle the french hen is almost done,but then Nuggetta our phoenix bantam started probably because she was bored or something to do.She is mightly ugly.

lau.gif

This is totally random I know, I love that the pictures hide you chicken's face. Discretion while molting, that is one proud bird. I don't know why I found the coincidence so funny.

Yep.its molting.shes lookin pretty homely there!

Ours are finishing I think. Jeckle the french hen is almost done,but then Nuggetta our phoenix bantam started probably because she was bored or something to do.She is mightly ugly.

lau.gif

OK that's a relief, thanks for the replies! Haha, I'd rather her be ugly than sick! I did my best at a visual inspection for mites/lice and didn't find anything. She does seem to be pecking at herself a little bit though, causing some feathers to come out. Normal behavior when molding? Should we apply something to discourage this?

This is totally random I know, I love that the pictures hide you chicken's face. Discretion while molting, that is one proud bird. I don't know why I found the coincidence so funny.

Haha yeah you know I believe in discretion for my haggard hens...

Back
Top Bottom