Ah! is this just molting???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coltsfoot, Nov 16, 2012.

1. coltsfoot

coltsfoot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Is she molting...? We're worried. We thought they were molting a few months ago but it didn't look nearly close to this. She is missing feathers mainly around her vent area and breast but also small patches around her legs and sides...

Thank you!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cf

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Yep.its molting.shes lookin pretty homely there!

Ours are finishing I think. Jeckle the french hen is almost done,but then Nuggetta our phoenix bantam started probably because she was bored or something to do.She is mightly ugly.

[​IMG]

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yeah just molting.

4. darinhill

darinhill Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2012
    Gainesville FL
    This is totally random I know, I love that the pictures hide you chicken's face. Discretion while molting, that is one proud bird. I don't know why I found the coincidence so funny.

5. coltsfoot

coltsfoot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011

OK that's a relief, thanks for the replies! Haha, I'd rather her be ugly than sick! I did my best at a visual inspection for mites/lice and didn't find anything. She does seem to be pecking at herself a little bit though, causing some feathers to come out. Normal behavior when molding? Should we apply something to discourage this?

Haha yeah you know I believe in discretion for my haggard hens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by