Ah, maybe we can't blame the heat all of the time~

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DIMBY, Sep 4, 2011.

1. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    My girls, too, have gone on strike. Thought for sure it was the heat and humidity (which is unusual for our area). So, gutted it up, told my customers wait a few weeks. Then this am, cleaned out the hen house. and went to get some bagged wood chips I have stored under an overturned water trough. Shock! More than two dozen eggs! The little devils had burrowed underneath it in the area between the trough and the fence where I couldn't see, and I hadn't overturned the trough in about two weeks. So, moral of the story: the heat is certainly a huge factor, but look for the less-obvious areas they could be laying. They are smarter - and more devious - that we think they are!

2. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    LOL The little stinkers!

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] Well, I agree those little stinkers!

4. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Yes, I gave them quite a tongue-lashing. Anybody have ideas for giving your girls "time outs?"[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  5. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    [​IMG] LOL What little stinkers! I can't wait for my babies to start laying! My DH & I started building their nesting houses today & will hopefully have then done & in the hen house in a few days. <3 They should hopefully start in about 3-4 weeks!

6. peachachecha

peachachecha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Don't be too hard on them - they are tired of sharing their creations all the time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by