Ah! Need emergency hatcher ideas quick!

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
So picked up some chicks today quite a ways away and the guy had a few eggs that were late to hatch (because of a power outage early in incubation) and I had to get back on the road. I waited for 3 hours and 4 hatched and one hatched on the road home under its siblings. Crazy I know! So I have 3 more eggs that the breeder didn't want and he made it sound like it was no big deal to hatch but know I'm nervous... One chick is pipped and peeping and I thought it might be shrink wrapped but when I re wetted (so carefully!) the (super thick) membrane and pulled a piece off its beak it bled a touch so I just set it in my rigged up "hatcher" and will wait. The other 2 I saw movement in there when I candled before I set them in their new home.

Ideas!
What I have so far is a lunch sized plastic cooler with a heat lamp over the top and a moist towel draped over and a cup of warm water inside. I have never incubated/hatched in my life so I need to know if this sounds like an okay setup in a pinch. Temp is at 95 and I don't know humidity. It feels quite humid with the wet towel over the top. Can I have too much humidity???

If this works I will be shocked!

Temp would be better around 99, but don't set your house on fire! Better lots of humidity rather than none, that setup is going to ensure lots of fresh air.

When I was a child I remember hatching chicks out in a wooden box with a glass side and a lightbulb inside. Still wonder how that worked, when a $200 incubator sometimes does not do the trick.

How did it go?

2 hatched and 1 pipped internally but failed to externally pip and zip. The eggtopsy I did looked like the chick made all the right moves but did it internally. Was able to keep 98-100 degrees amazingly! Just had to adjust the light height. Humidity was a problem as expected. But it worked in my predicament.

Back
Top Bottom