Aha! Just found out poultry regulations for Vancouver, WA

Just reread the OP post it mention that urban growth areas have no limits to chicken. That means I'm good to go.
smile.png
order my chicks couple of days ago and will be here end of may but was too excited and went to orchard feed mill and bought 1 naked neck and a plymount rock I think
smile.png
wish me luck

Last edited:
Those are the only two breed and when I went there today only the rock was left. He said his getting some more in a week or two don't remember what breed but I would assume that if you wanted a breed you could always ask if they can get it for you but probably is a minimum order not really positive on that.

I wanted to avoid a minimum order, I only want a few EEs. I know Wilco had chicks and I got good stock there. But they did not have EEs. I would not mind if they called them Aracanas or Americanas. They would probably be EEs anyways then.

Good luck with your chicks! What feed are you buying? We feed Purina and find that Wilco has sales every now and then, that is the cheapest time to buy in the county. I like Orchards Feed Mill though, such a neat store, isn't it?

well im actually going to try rice for my feed, my dad told me its what he used when he was raising chickens, and it worked well for him. rice is a staple food in my family so its like two birds (more like people and birds)lol with one stone(rice)
lol.png

I've never been to wilco. whats the difference between orchard and wilco. Is it, ones bigger then the other, also where is the closes wilco from vancouver?

It is in Battle Ground. It is like a huge store, but some of it isn't farm stuff, it is like a hardware store and western apparell and plants and paint and stuff. But it has a good selection of different animal supplies, and they sell hay and all kinds of livestock feed, much of it Purina brand. They have a huge turnover so stuff is really fresh, but the help is not very knowledgeable except one lady I hunt down each time I'm there. They had several breeds of chickens there today, as well as pheasants, geese, ducks and turkeys.
We decided to get an incubator instead, though! lol

Last edited:
We have 17 chickens already, and a rooster, so their eggs are fertile. The chicks cost too much!

It would be nice to have them already here, but with some work and patience I can hopefully make a lot of chicks over the summer, not just one group, with the same money. Cross your fingers for me!

I have not heard of using rice as a complete food, but mine enjoy it as a snack. Ours free-range a good bit so that cuts down on the food bill.

yeah i plan on having them free range in the back so hopefully that would help the cost too, I wanted to buy eggs to hatch but didn't want to get a incubator yet, Maybe next year. good Luck this summer on the egg hatching tell me how successful you are. Maybe ill head in that direction too, What kind of incubator did you get?

Back
Top Bottom