ahahaha my neighbors

Keene's coop

Songster
9 Years
Feb 8, 2010
neenah, wisconsin
barnie.gif
my next door neighbors daughter and son and law called me asked if i could open my garage door cuz their cat got out and went into my garage. i came out and opened the garage door and helped them get their cat. well, to open and close the door, you have to do it in the middle of the garage door otherwise it'll get messed up. so i went and grabbed the cat rom under my van and i heard the garage door get pulled. didn't really think anything of it. so they left and i went to shut it and guess what. it WILL NOT shut. they broke it. so my husband came home from work and i told him what had happened and he asked if they offered to fix it and i said no. they never even said a word to me that it may have broken when they pulled down. so my husband went out to fix it. well guess what. they pulled so hard that they completely busted the door beyond repair. my husband can not fix. it needs to be replaced.
barnie.gif
and guess what else. MY COOP FRAME IS IN THE GARAGE!!!
he.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif

my chickies are gonna be here in 2 1/2 weeks and i can not get my coop out. and we can not afford to replace the door. so i emailed them and they did not reply. not even an appology.
barnie.gif
so my daughter has their daughters bday party this saturday. i wonder if they will say something then. I AM SO PEED OFF.
barnie.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
thansk., just had to rant.

Sounds to me like your garage door was well on the way to being broke before the nieghbors laid a hand on it.

Nearest I can see they opened the door and it broke, no intention on their part.

Do you have insurance that could cover it? (don't have to answer that, just a suggestion... then they can sue your neighbors insurance co to recover maybe)

Last edited:
Quote:
But...they had no right to open it. The OP knew that it had to be opened 'just so' so that it wouldnt break. We have had several household items over the years that we milked along by using it 'just so' so that it would last until we could afford to replace it. I would be annoyed too.
sad.png

Check craigslist - I see alot of garage doors on there in my area "used" but still working.

I'd let it go with the neighbors, not really their fault, just bad luck. Your door was on it's way out anyway and it's never a good time when something that you've been "nursing" actually does break. I mean, that's WHY you've been nursing it in the first place, right?

Sounds like a freak accident to me. They couldn't have possibly known that your door was broken unless you specifically told them not to open the door. Otherwise, just a freak accident.

It's lousy timing but I agree that they didn't do anything wrong to break it. They didn't know there was a certain way you had to open it, as far as I can tell you didn't tell them that or tell them not to touch it, so they didn't callously do anything. It sounds like it was going to break totally pretty soon anyway, to be honest. If one of your friends had grabbed it and broken it accidentally, would you expect them to pay for it, too?

I'm thinking that some of this is you blowing off steam and just mad that it had to break now, of all times, you know?
wink.png
We've all been there.

I'd just let it go with them. Maybe they'll come help you hang the new one when you get it.

Last edited:
Quote:
But...they had no right to open it. The OP knew that it had to be opened 'just so' so that it wouldnt break. We have had several household items over the years that we milked along by using it 'just so' so that it would last until we could afford to replace it. I would be annoyed too.
sad.png

Thay had no intent to break the door. Did not try to break it, didn't want to break it, and if it would have been a healthy door they would not have broke it. They had no reason to think it was anything but a healthy door.

It would be the same thing as me having an almost busted gate in my field, my nieghbor's cattle (in this case the cat and cattle are a paralell) get into my field while I am at work. Sure the cattle should not have ever gotten out, but who amoung us can claim 100% containment. He has to use the gate to get his cattle back where they belong. He opens the gate and the weak gate lets go. Now I knew it was weak, he didn't. Should I make him responsible for my weak gate. Well stricthly speeking I guess he is, he broke it, but I the owner knew it was most of the way gone before he touched it. So should I make him responsible for all the wear on that gate that put it into the almost broke condition.

Boy we get all kinds of complaints about bad neighbors. But you know if you sit down a minute and think about it, we are our neighbor's neighbor.

i'm not mad at them. my husband is. and yes, it was already kinda broken. but it was fine if you opened and closed it from the middle. i know it was an accident. they asked me to open it cuz she knew it needed to be open a certain way, but her husband didn't. again, i know it was an accident. it just would have been nice for him to say "i think i broke your door. i'm sorry". but in a way me, not my husband, is happy that hr did break it cuz now my husband has no choice but to replace it.
big_smile.png
so for that part, i'm happy. i guess i'm just really fustrated cuz my coop is in there and i can't get it out without taking it apart.
sad.png
so i'll just have to wait and see. like i said, i'm not mad at them, i'm just mad that my coop is in there and my chickies come the first week of june.

Back
Top Bottom