Automatic Chicken Coop Door Motor Bad

Cokerham

Hatching
Feb 6, 2024
So I am now on my second Automatic door in a short time, Both times the motor went out. The gear that works the door free spins and no longer opens or closes the door. Has anyone replaced these motors ? It has power and ground, should be simple. I just don't know where to get the motor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Photo on 2-6-24 at 6.59 PM.jpg

:welcome Welcome to the forum.

Is your door opener still under warranty? Can you email the company's customer service for support? I would think those doors should last a long time. Something does not sound right that they are failing so fast.

FYI, I just have a light rope attached to my pop door and it has been trouble free for 4+ years. I have considered getting an automatic door opener, but I still enjoy checking on my girls at least twice a day when I open and then later close the pop door.

I'm sorry you are having these issues.

That is the problem with that type of motor, it is called a 'spur gear'. It is very easy for the teeth in the motor to get stripped or damaged. Something pushing against the door vertically can cause that damage. That is why we use a 'planetary gear' motor in our doors. It is easily 10 times stronger than a spur gear, but also is much more expensive. It's the old cost/quality tradeoff. And we do sell parts for our doors if something eventually does go wrong.

If you've had 2 of the same automatic door motor fail, it seems like (unless you can get it replaced for free under warranty) you're setting yourself up for failure to buy another one of these doors. Look into another brand, preferably one with decent support. This is part of the reason I ended up with the door I did, versus buying a knockoff on amazon for half the price.

What brand of auto door is that?

I have a Run Chicken door and from what I recall from changing the batteries inside, their design uses a drive motor similar to an RC car's steering servo, which is a very common part that can be found at any hobby shop.

You may be able to find a replacement motor for yours at a hobby shop too if you're handy, but personally if I've had 2 failures I'd be looking at other more reputable brands that will warranty their product.

Back
Top Bottom