Ahhh! Im scared please HELP!

Collete

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado
Ok, this is weird, but i have a soft shell that wont break if i push on it! What is the cause? Either my orpington of one of my wyendottes layed it . Here are pics of me squishing the shell all around. Please guve a calcium supplement or how to stop this from happening!

I would suggest using Oyster Shell. You can get it at almost any local feed store. It is about 10$ for a 50# bag here. You just put out a bowl of it and they will take it as they need it. A 50# bag lasted me a year. The soft "unbreakable" shell you are feeling is the normal "skin" under the shell. It is just stronger in a fresh egg than one from the store. Pullets will lay eggs like that every now and then until their bodies get used to making an egg a day or so.

Same thing happend 2 me but no shell gust the membrane idk in that even makes sense !

I gave her
take egg shells rinse them off and dry in the oven (not long) if u crush the shells in front of them thay will gust eat it. If thay wont gust eat it I put it in there food or crush it really little and put it in potatoes or yogurt or whatever.

U can also give them sand thay eat it by the mouth full.
both of these things should help a lot
They probably gust need extra calcium to form a harder shell.

Last edited:
Sand is an entirely different matter. They need grit to digest their food, and you would want something a little more substantial. If you have a large amount of small pebbles in your chicken run, you don't really need grit, but you can purchase it at a feed store.

Using the eggshells is a great idea, but my grandma always suggested cooking them or allowing them to dry so the chickens don't start to eat their own eggs once they get the flavor of the albumen.

Our chickens are hens, and they have been laying for a loooooong time. (1 year) :yiipchick so im sure it's a lack of calcium, but my chickens wont eat any calcium we give them, such as eggshell, lobster and crab shell, ect.

Ok, this just got more serious. The egg DEFLATED over the days i left it in the basket!

Could this be because the air cell was punctured by a shard of shell? Help again!

Last edited:
Hmmmm yes try a calcium supplement (eggshell, powdered oyster shell in yogurt, etc) And make sure they are getting a proper feed. If you are already giving them layer pellets or the like, maybe they arent getting enough of it (too many treats, or they just haven't adjusted), Are they free-ranging? It seems like it could be a fluke like they are just starting to lay, a calcium deficiency, or maybe it could be more serious. Check for diarrhea and try posting this in the forum area for diseases and emergencies, if this continues to happen. I hope I could help! Good luck!
hugs.gif

Is this one egg, or has this happened a lot? If it was one egg, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Make sure to get them something like Oyster Shell... and make sure that you are feeding them quality feed.

Back
Top Bottom