1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AHHHHHH!!! I am officially in 'lockdown' mode for my quail eggs!!! :-O I'm so nervous!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Goodale13, Sep 6, 2015.

1. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    Got home at 330am and pulled fluffed chicks out. And I just realized I didn't count! Been up 24 hours. These eggs started cooking on evening of 21st. My event minder just noticed me of hatch beginning. Some real beauties. 17? So far. 5 healthy big chicks from my Italian boy. A couple tuxedos. Nice Tibetans, pharaohs, and mixed range. 2 more almost fluffed in the bator. Good times. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. nwfl

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    How are your eggs doing Goodale? I got a couple hours of sleep and am off to work again. 2 more little ones and a weak one still in styrobator with the unhatched. It looks like two of the fluffed may have toe or foot issues. Temp is accurate at 100. Can't wait to spend some quality time with these little ones.

3. nwfl

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    This is it for me. I still have eggs and pips in and some drying out. Waiting on your hatch. [​IMG]

4. Goodale13

Goodale13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    Oh wow! That is great news nwfl! You have done so very well, how exciting. Unfortunately, nothing has arrived for me yet, but still got some time left, they may be a bit late perhaps. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. Your little ones look lovely and healthy though. Well done! :)

5. nwfl

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I still have 30 + in the styrobator with nothing visible happening. Maybe yours and my remaining will hatch soon.

6. nwfl

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    This is my first quail hatch. We have hatched chickens from our favorite birds in years past. These eggs are from our 4 breeding groups. Saving all the largest eggs this week for one more hatch. Quail chicks are so delicate and small compared to chickens. Still waiting on the rest. Have one crazy large pipped egg that has been going nowhere for 6 hours. It's pandemonium in the brooder. Can't wait to see yours!!

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  7. nwfl

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I have the day off and am making up for lost time with poultry chores. One thing I forgot to do this hatch time was put down a few layers of paper towels in the plastic tote brooder. Some people don't like them but it has always made cleanup easy for me. If I put several layers down I can roll up a one or two and chicks just walk out of the way and jump onto clean layer. When they get to where they begin to pull at the paper I can usually move them onto wire. If I use foam shelf liner I put down a couple layers and paper towel between pieces. Shelf liner goes into wash with some rags and baking soda and I let it sun dry. I use foam shelf liner in incubator, hatcher and over wire in the outside brooder.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  8. nwfl

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    Ah well, I had 30 hatch and a couple pips. Almost half of eggs that made it to day 7 hatched.

9. Goodale13

Goodale13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    That's good new nwfl, unfortunately none of mine hatched :-( Some were duds and some had rings and had gone bad. Oh, well, lessons have been learnt. I am more prepared now and have got some more on the cards to arrive soon. Hopefully the next lot will be better. I am super happy you have so many little 'peep peeps' arrive though. At least on of us did well :)

10. nwfl

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I'm sorry you didn't have any hatch! I had so many large chicks in eggs that didn't hatch that I stopped dissecting. Some were still alive and really wet and some shrink wrapped. Half of my eggs were able to hatch and I am happy with that. It is certainly not like my experience with chicken and duck eggs. They develop so much faster. Temp was fairly constant 99-100°. Humidity got up to 89% when they hatched while I was gone for so long. I have had to put boots on four of these little chicks and they removed them on their own but toes look normal now. I have 60 more in for my second try. am going to keep humidity as low as I can till lockdown. It is so humid were I live anyway. Wish you luck on next hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by