Ailing chicken - help!

Dave65

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Colorado
Our 15-month old RI Red has not been laying for about a week and seems to have an enlarged pouch beneath her vent. She's been active and acting normal until this morning, when she came out of the coop with a limp, and now seems unable to support her weight on her left leg.

I soaked her yesterday afternoon in a solution of Poultry Protector, as a precaution against mites (she's had some crusty butt issues lately), but I'm not sure exactly what the trouble is. Any suggestions? She's eating OK and seems alert.

Our 15-month old RI Red has not been laying for about a week and seems to have an enlarged pouch beneath her vent. She's been active and acting normal until this morning, when she came out of the coop with a limp, and now seems unable to support her weight on her left leg.

I soaked her yesterday afternoon in a solution of Poultry Protector, as a precaution against mites (she's had some crusty butt issues lately), but I'm not sure exactly what the trouble is. Any suggestions? She's eating OK and seems alert.
I would say she's egg bound. This is what I do when i have to deal with this....first bring herin or someplace where you can give her a really nice warm bath/soak. Keep her in the water for 15 mins. and while she's there gently, gnetly take two fingers and pull/massage from her belly up to her vent. The acting word here is gently! I also would give her a human calcium pill with vitamin D added. The ones I use are a chewable Calcium 500mg with D 400iu. I crush one and mix it with a small amount of water, we're talking tbls, so that she can drink it fairly fast and get it working inside her. Take her off of layer and if you can put her somewhere where she will be warm and undistrubed by roosters or the other hens. She needs some quiet time to get on with what she needs to do. You may need to do this a couple of times, but it should be fine.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738201/goose-what-is-this-how-did-it-happen-what-do-i-do-about-it

Here is the story of my Lucy and her troubles compounded by prolapse. Today she is fine and she went on to lay a lot more eggs with no help and no issues at all.

Thanks, I've done those 3 things (warm bath, gentle massage, calcium). We'll hope it helps. She definitely looks swollen beneath her vent (not a prolapse, but more like a pouch in her bottom quarters). Anything else I should be trying?

Thanks, I've done those 3 things (warm bath, gentle massage, calcium). We'll hope it helps. She definitely looks swollen beneath her vent (not a prolapse, but more like a pouch in her bottom quarters). Anything else I should be trying?
Patience and lots of lovin'. Poor girl must feel like she's carrying a football in there. If you gave her the calcium with the D please only do it once a day. D can build to toxic levels fairly quickly and she doesn't need that. Baths are good, as many as you can and she'll allow. The warmth helps those muscles relax and let her lay the eggs. Please keep updating this thread. I am expecting the calcium to work pretty soon....maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow, as it works on the muscles, helping them to work properly as well as strengthen the shells.

Now since it has been a week, please be sure of this, I would also start thinking about an antibiotic. There may be something brewing in there if it has been this long. First thing I would do is get her on some Duramycin-10 or if you have something else right there give it. I would also glove up and lubricate my finger and gently go inside and see if you can feel anything. You want to be very, very careful as you do not want to break any eggs inside her.

Now the limp..did you see her hurt herself? Are you able to find the injury? What vaccinations did these birds get as chicks?

Cynthia (the chicken) is doing better today. No visible limp (there never was any sign of injury) and seems friskier. The swelling below her vent even looks a bit less. Still no egg forthcoming, but we'll soak and massage her again today, give her another Ca pill and hope she stays on this path. Haunted 55 I really appreciate your responses and advice!

Ain't no thing! If you read that thread about my Lucy, you will see it was a group effort to figure this stuff out. All I'm doing is passing it along with the hopes it will help your girl. Keep up with the cacium, but again, if you don't see results soon, please think about the antibiotic and exam.

Back
Top Bottom