Aina has cancer-update post 18

I am so sorry to hear that. My first schipperke had hemangio. I chose to open him up, and told the vet that IF he could assure me that we could have at least a few months of QUALITY life, to excise the tumor. When he went in, it was larger than he thought and definately had spread, so we didnt wake Rebel up. I dont know if the vet really explained it to you, but hemangio usually results in the spleen rupturing and it is an ugly, bloody, painful death. I know you dont want to hear that, but I want to make sure you know, so that if you want to ensure her a peaceful exit, you can. I am grateful that even though we couldnt save him, we at least saved Rebel from the pain of splenic rupture.
I hate hemangio. I'm crying all over again thinking of my boy..enjoy the time you have with her.

Hugs to you, I so sorry that Aina received this diagnosis. I lost my Champer to hemangiosarcoma 2 years ago, when he was 13 yo. As others have said, enjoy the time you have her.

hugs.gif

52978_dsc00178.jpg

Aina, taken this past January in one of her favorite parks

Thank you everyone for all of the support. We are definitely treasuring every moment we have left with her. This morning we took a long walk around the forest preserve so that she and Tatsu could chase squirrels (my toddler also told me he was chasing squirrels but admitted that he wasn't quite as good at it as the dogs). My friend Katy, whom Aina adores, and her best doggy friend Claire are planning to come visit around New Years and we will do lots of fun things for dogs while they are here. I do understand that hemangios usually lead to splenic rupture, I have seen a few in the years I've worked at the vet. I also was very involved in the case where the owners opted to do surgery (although his tumor was cutaneous and not in the spleen...it was one of the most horrific surgeries I've seen) and chemo, which played a big part in my decision not to seek treatment. We did discuss the signs of a splenic rupture, and I have already asked my boss if she would come out after hours if Aina went down so that she wouldn't have to make a scary visit to the emergency vet.

hit.gif
hit.gif
She's being neurotic tonight! She's always been like that from time to time, but I had to give her her iron supplement an hour before her meal and she was suspicious of the meatball I put it in. I ended up having to open her mouth (not easy at all, my other dog drops his lower jaw as soon as I hook my finger behind his canine but she clenches) and pill her and now she looks at me like I'm going to beat her if I so much as look at her.
sad.png
To top it all off, the stupid cat ate the meatball of food that had her rimadyl in it
he.gif
barnie.gif
Now I have to keep an eye on him and hope it doesn't totally tank his liver (he's had liver issues in the past after anesthesia).

She's gone. When the vet got here to check on her, she got up to bark at her and couldn't stand or walk and her gums were white as a sheet. She wasn't being neurotic after all, she had ruptured and was bleeding out. Thankfully, she did not seem to be at all painful (didn't even tense when the dr palpated her abdomen) and she passed very peacefully in our arms. Goodbye sweet girl, we'll miss you...

Back
Top Bottom