Air cell check

They will become angled. It's normal for them not to be, for them to slightly be, for them to be angled on day seven and then flat a week later. Candle before lockdown and then if you want, candle occasionally until you get an external pip(handle them gently and slowly and put them back down the same way they were) and you'll find they finally start to look like those charts you see around(which are not wrong, they're just
averages, so most eggs aren't exactly like em, and they don't really get across that you get as much movement on day ~18 as you did the week before and then as much the next day as the entire incubation.

Crap I calculated my weight loss wrong. Math is hurting my head now.

I went and weighed 2 dozen eggs in the fridge. They came from the same chickens around the same time.
Out of 25 eggs the AVG weight of the fridge eggs was 60.32 g.

Then I weighed the eggs in the incubator.
Out of 22 eggs the AVG weight was 52.82 g.

At 11-13% loss on day 14 they should weigh between 54.22-55.16 g. So I have actually lost too much weight. That is on track to be a 16% weight loss at day 18 and what they weigh now is what they are supposed to weigh on day 18.

What should I do now?

Last edited:
Whups, typed up a post yesterday and didn't realize I didn't post it.

Put them in lockdown if it'll make you less anxious, they're late enough to not need turning. Mostly try not to chew your fingers off fretting. Read through the assisted hatching guide, if they're dry they may become stuck and need help.

And let us know when there's an update!

No problem. Thanks for checking in.

I did raise my humidity to the upper 60's to compensate, basically like putting them in a lockdown. That is the only thing I could think of to do. I just got done reweighing them and I think I can have them down to around 13% weight loss on day 18 which is Sunday so I think I'm going to be in good shape there. They average 52.29 g on day 16.

I was kinda worried about having the humidity up that high for a few days before lockdown. Is that going to cause any problems?

Nope. In general, unlike temperature, humidity is more about the average over incubation. Spikes and dips are not a big deal, and getting it on target only matters at hatch time. All it'll do is slow the rate of moisture loss, which is exactly what you want.

Today on day 18 they lost 14.16% of their estimated weight. The air cell dipped down and looked about right from the pics. I think that part is good. Thanks guys for helping me.

They are in lockdown now. The kids can't wait to see something hatch.

Today on day 18 they lost 14.16% of their estimated weight. The air cell dipped down and looked about right from the pics. I think that part is good. Thanks guys for helping me.

They are in lockdown now. The kids can't wait to see something hatch.
Good luck with the hatch! Post photos of the chicks if you are so inclined. 😊

Back
Top Bottom