Air cell question...what am I seeing?

lexgold

Songster
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
Just candled some shipped bantam eggs and can see TONS of development and little black embryo dancing around in there at day 8.
The lower third of the egg at the pointed end appears clear. Is this the air cell? I thought the air cell was at the top and wanted to see if it was theright size for day 8? I was holding the egg pointed end down shining the flashlight up through it...thanks...

OK, now I did some reading and the pointed end is just filled with egg white at this stage right...will go check another egg to see if it has a more clearly visible air cell. Humidity is 40 to 50 percent. Planning on being 65% at lockdown. Is this good?

Last edited:
You are right on tract! I like a bit lower humidity during incubation but everyone is different. I like 35-45 but others do just what you are and have great hatches. Good luck!

Thanks, I have begun to worry about humidity but my eggs seem to be developing well. Actually my humidity has been upper 30s to mid 40s most of the time. Want to go check another egg to peek at the air cell but MUST LEAVE WELL ALONE! Will at day 14 I think....

Last edited:
Seems I've read that the smaller the egg the higher the humidity should be. Something to do with a smaller amount of moisture to be evaporated but the egg still must incubate for the same 21 days.....if the smaller eggs run at a low humidity level for the incubation period then they lose too much moisture. Maybe I dreamed it?

I googled it and it brought me back here to BYC and Bill Worrell's dry incubation article.<grin> Here is a quote from it:

For 1202: Open the bator every 4 days or so and add 1/4 inch of water to the pan. I have found that small bantam eggs do much better with a little moisture so if we have bantam eggs in the incubator, we make sure the humidity stays at or about 40%. We always let our 1202's dry down for about 12-18 hours before adding more water. We think this is the best method according to our hatches. On large fowl eggs we have found that the lower humidity levels, say 25% are fine for them for 24-36 hours.

This was directed to the cabinet incubator but the humidity info about bantams should pertain to styrofoam incubators, also.

FWIW,
Ed

ETA: The underscore on the pertinent part of the quote.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom