Air Cell with Half-Circle Attached

BeeSpice

In the Brooder
May 13, 2023
I have special shipped eggs that are developing normally except there is a small half-circle sized air cell connected to the air cell. I am very very worried. The eggs were fresh, but the post office shipped them upside down, then I let them “rest” in the correct position for 48 hours before I set them. Any information or advice is welcome! 6 days left until hatch day.

Shipped eggs are prone to developing misshapen air cells due to the stresses they're subjected to during shipping (shaking, dropping, pressure changes, etc.). What you've described sounds like it could be a slightly damaged air cell. A photo could help with confirmation.

I've found that air cells damaged during shipping rarely resume their normal position, but chicks can still hatch from the eggs. I keep a particularly close eye on the ones with wonky airs cells to ensure that the chick internally pips in the right place (and has access to air) and am prepared to assist as needed.

Best of luck with your hatch!

Shipped eggs are prone to developing misshapen air cells due to the stresses they're subjected to during shipping (shaking, dropping, pressure changes, etc.). What you've described sounds like it could be a slightly damaged air cell. A photo could help with confirmation.

I've found that air cells damaged during shipping rarely resume their normal position, but chicks can still hatch from the eggs. I keep a particularly close eye on the ones with wonky airs cells to ensure that the chick internally pips in the right place (and has access to air) and am prepared to assist as needed.

Best of luck with your hatch!
Thank you soooo much!! Here are 2 pictures. One is a lot further off than the other.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 11
those dont look bad at all .. ive had them with horseshoe shaped cells all the way on the side of the eggs and they hatched just fine .. if theres a chick bouncing around in there your in business ..

The last egg didn’t make it. It drowned in the floating air cell. :( But, I got 2 Ermine Coloring and one maybe blue or black :)

Sprinkles, Confetti, & Ice/Awk/etc (haven’t picked a name until I know the color)

Better pictures soon!

The last egg didn’t make it. It drowned in the floating air cell. :( But, I got 2 Ermine Coloring and one maybe blue or black :)

Sprinkles, Confetti, & Ice/Awk/etc (haven’t picked a name until I know the color)

Better pictures soon!
Sorry for your loss. At least the others are doing ok♥️

those dont look bad at all .. ive had them with horseshoe shaped cells all the way on the side of the eggs and they hatched just fine .. if theres a chick bouncing around in there your in business ..
Thank you. I will be watching them like a hawk on hatch day. Tomorrow is lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom