Air pocket in chest of hen

jlfyoda

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2021
One of my silky girl has a large air pocket on her chest. It is not a ball like pocket, it is from the top of her chest to just under. It is not tight with the skin but certainly feels as though there is a bit of air under the skin. It feels spongy like a balloon that has lost some air. She acts fine, she has a brood of 10 chicks and is a great momma. Eats and drinks normal, but looks as if she is constantly walking around with her chest puffed out. I know that they have the four air sack, could one be leaking? Should I puncture with sterile needle to release the air? There are no vets that deal with chickens near my area.

One of my silky girl has a large air pocket on her chest. It is not a ball like pocket, it is from the top of her chest to just under. It is not tight with the skin but certainly feels as though there is a bit of air under the skin. It feels spongy like a balloon that has lost some air. She acts fine, she has a brood of 10 chicks and is a great momma. Eats and drinks normal, but looks as if she is constantly walking around with her chest puffed out. I know that they have the four air sack, could one be leaking? Should I puncture with sterile needle to release the air? There are no vets that deal with chickens near my area.
Are you sure it is an air pocket? Could it be her crop?

Oh, and WELCOME TO THE BYC!

Thank you. I am fairly certain it is not her crop. It has been the same consistently for two days at least, morning or night. I will see if I can figure out how to get some pics on here. I know it is hard to get an idea only from someone's vague descriptions.

Last edited:
I think you are seeing the crop.
Screenshot_20210715-140535_Chrome.jpg

Sorry on the delay. my phone was being difficult and I am slow at this kind of stuff anyway. Ok, just got her in again and looking closer I am pretty certain it is air. The skin is distended and goes all the way under to her legs.

Attachments

• 20210715_151152.jpg
    20210715_151152.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210715_151153.jpg
    20210715_151153.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG950886.jpg
    IMG950886.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 49
  • silk2.jpg
    silk2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 57
OK, so if it is an air sac, it should heal by itself. If the chicken is in pain, or is having trouble moving, you can deflate it using a sterile needle or syringe.

(according to The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow)
can I do this at any area or should i try and keep it specific?

Back
Top Bottom