Air Quality Concerns

babybop11

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
Hi!! I’m in VA and we’re really starting to have poor air quality. It smells like a bonfire outside and it’s hard for me to breathe if i’m out tending to my garden too long. I’m concerned about my pullets and if it’s affecting them too. Anyone doing anything to help improve their situation outside?

Hi!! I’m in VA and we’re really starting to have poor air quality. It smells like a bonfire outside and it’s hard for me to breathe if i’m out tending to my garden too long. I’m concerned about my pullets and if it’s affecting them too. Anyone doing anything to help improve their situation outside?
I'm in New York, and I have ducks and was wondering the same thing. Inside my coop I have a small fan hanging from the ceiling to move air out, the two doors and 2 windows are open...not sure what else I can do. It's definitely makin me wheez. I feel so bad for all the animals. Good luck and protection to all.

You read my mind.

I'm not really sure. I had my cockerel out this morning with the hens, and just pulled out two pullets for pictures, but I might just bring the babies back in due to the smoke. They are just 7 weeks, so not too small, and as much as I hate to keep them indoors in the brooder all day, it's not as if they are getting sunshine and fresh air out there. :(

I don't know what I could do for the rest of my big girls in the run...

Dealing with it in Maryland as well. So far none of my chickens are showing signs of distress, but it is definitely smokey outside. The only solution I can think of would be to bring them indoors and stick them back in the brooder.

I have a mister that attaches to the end of a hose. I used to use it on super hot days. I wonder if that might help at all?

I'm in CT and the air is so thick right now. I called my avian vet, and they said if you can, bring them in as it's safer. So we have 9 in the garage and one roo upstairs because he objected to my socks and it caused a ruckus 😂
My husband thinks I'm crazy. I brought mine all into the basement, too. I have nine in the brooder (which is just a big wire dog crate), three ducks in their carrier, and nine hens in another big plastic dog crate. I figure the ducks are used to going without food and water overnight, but I'll make sure they get access to food and water again before bed at least. I gave the hens some food and water, but I also have two smaller wire crates. So I don't know if I might still split the hens up a bit to give them a little more room. :/

Back
Top Bottom