Air Sack

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crazy Chicken Fever, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    I am wondering if anyone has ever hatched a chick out of a egg with a damaged air sack? I had eggs shipped and the post office really did a number on them. Many of the sacks are distorted but I can see that they are growing as they should around the deformed sack. One is split in half but the veins are still growing around it. I spent 80.00 on these eggs with shipping so I am reluctant in throwing them out unless I see blood rings. Any input would be helpful. My best guess is they will die over the next week or so. Has anyone had a chick hatch from a mess like this?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

In a word, No. Shipped eggs are a crap shoot to start with, much less with damaged air sacks. [​IMG] You have my sympathy.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have had several hatch, but mostly not. I hope they work out for you, good luck!

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This is my first hatch, so I barely know what I'm looking at. My eggs are due to hatch next Monday -- my worry is that the air sack is at the wrong end. Out of 8 eggs only three have anything growing -- in fact they seem to be filling up the whole egg. I can't offer any help, other than my sympathy. I paid $30 for mine AND I have a hen who so much wants to be a Mama. If they don't hatch I'll have to track down chicks! Jeez!

It feels like these eggs have been with us waiting forever to hatch.

Wishing you a safe and healthy hatch,
    Jenny

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I was told by a few ppl that you can try and put them on their end. That means, an egg with a loose air cell, can be hatched on its end. I was told to set it up with the large end up and gently tip it from side to side as it incubates. I found this info after my eggs didn't hatch.
    Shipped eggs are really hard to hatch. Don't give up if the hatch rate is low. It takes time to learn how the process works.

6. SilverLacedMom

SilverLacedMom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    I read that when you first get the eggs in, you let them settle for 8 hrs, large end up in a egg carton. This helps get the air sac to the top and back in position properly.

I am new to all of this, this is the little advice I know of.

I wish you all the luck and hope things work out ! Think positive!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] You can leanr alot here. I knew NOTHING when I first found this site.

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Yep...hatched damaged air sacks... am working on another damaged shipment... Use a turner or a NEW egg carton and keep them air cell up and just run em until you know they are not viable...Hatched lots of loose air cells... No worries... there is hope. I have even hatched cracked shells w/the membrane still intact... using wax...

1 person likes this.
  9. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Thanks Geebs, you give me hope! I hatch hatches 100's of eggs last year but never really paid attention to the air sacks & hardly candled unless I was checking fertility. I just rode out the 21 days and looked forward to whatever hatched. I guess the cost of these eggs have me paying more attention to their status. My incubator rocks so if they have a chance, my bator will do it's job. I hope to get a couple hatchers....I really miss having wee ones around here. I turned the bator off in August but it feels like it's been years...lol

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.....AND HAPPY HATCHING!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by