ALABAMA!!

It's gotten quiet around here lately!

Those of us in the southeastern portion of the state are now officially under a tropical storm warning. We are predicted to get sustained winds of 30-40 mph on Monday with gusts of 50-70 mph. :hit No one warned me about this possibility when I moved down here!

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my chickens on Monday. My coop is of reasonable quality for a pre-fabricated one, but the entire thing probably weighs less than 400 lbs. I'm not at all confident in its ability to withstand those kinds of winds. I currently have 2 adult hens, 4 half-ish grown pullets (about 3 months old), and 2 chicks (about 2 months old). The best solution I can come up with is to cram them all into my wire dog crate, cover it so that they think it's night, stick them in the barn with the horses, and hope they don't beat up on each other too much before the storm ends. Not ideal, but it beats having them blown into the next county...Do you think this will work? Other ideas?

What are the rest of you doing to prepare?

Are there trees near your coop? Tie a rope to a tree, pull it tight to your coop and wrap it around the coop a couple times. Keeping it tight, take it to a tree on the opposite side and tie it off to that tree with a trucker's hitch knot so you can pull it nice and tight. The coop won't go anywhere. If no trees nearby, you could go to Home Depot or somewhere that carries mobile home anchors and tie the coop down to those. http://www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterLogic-30-in-Earth-Anchors-Set-4-Piece-10075/202719050

Thanks to the help of a very good friend and coworker, I was able to move the entire chicken coop under my hay shed. That gives it additional wind protection from three sides, plus another roof. I think it should be good there. In fact, I may not move it back! The wood, after nearly a year of exposure to the elements, was starting to show a lot of wear; this will probably extend its useful life considerably.

It's gotten quiet around here lately!

Those of us in the southeastern portion of the state are now officially under a tropical storm warning. We are predicted to get sustained winds of 30-40 mph on Monday with gusts of 50-70 mph. :hit No one warned me about this possibility when I moved down here!

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my chickens on Monday. My coop is of reasonable quality for a pre-fabricated one, but the entire thing probably weighs less than 400 lbs. I'm not at all confident in its ability to withstand those kinds of winds. I currently have 2 adult hens, 4 half-ish grown pullets (about 3 months old), and 2 chicks (about 2 months old). The best solution I can come up with is to cram them all into my wire dog crate, cover it so that they think it's night, stick them in the barn with the horses, and hope they don't beat up on each other too much before the storm ends. Not ideal, but it beats having them blown into the next county...Do you think this will work? Other ideas?

What are the rest of you doing to prepare?

Honestly I didn't do anything. They stayed where they are, got a bit wet but nothing different from any other rain. If the weather had turned really bad I would've pinned them up inside the coop.
If you have one of those prefabbed coop/tractor things I would suggest anchoring it down with good rope and mobile home anchors.

I live in southern Jefferson County between Helena and Tannehill St. park., and
I have about 15 laying hens and 3 roosters I am going to give away.
I hatched 32 baby chickens this spring and they are about grown now, so I am running out of room. The ones I want to give away are 2 and 3 years old, and are not laying great right now. Most are still laying but not every day. Some are molting and not laying at all. If you have a good place to keep them and would like to have them, message me.
Thanks, Tom

Would anyone here be interested in a pair of started Livestock Guardian Dogs? I am trying to help a friend find the right home for them. They are brothers, 8 montths old, not yet neutered, started on goats, pigs and cows. Exposed to chickens, but still too young and playful to be 100% trusted with them. I have a couple of people interested, but not quite the right fit. PM me if interested.

I am in Decatur. I just got a shipment of Bantam Buff Brahmas and I think I want to add more bantam chicks. If you have any newly hatched bantams, I would love to know what kind you have for sale.

I hear ya. It's supposed to be a little cooler next week, but the highs are still going to be in the 80's for a while with no rain in sight. :(

Edit: Sorry, I guess everyone else has internet weather as well, I was just agreeing. :)

Back
Top Bottom