ALABAMA!!

Ugh. The last few weeks have been quite a roller coaster for my little flock. My wonderful, cuddly Speckled Sussex died suddenly and unexpectedly one night. :( A few days later, I picked up a gorgeous Blue Wheaten Ameraucana rooster from a breeder near Birmingham. :ya He settled right in, after being put in his place by my older RIR hen. Then, last weekend, my Salmon Faverolles hen prolapsed overnight, after being perfectly healthy the day before. :( After putting her down, I'm left with only one mature hen (the RIR), the rooster, and my three pullets (two Easter Eggers and another RIR) who hatched in late March.

In a slightly desperate move, I ordered a cheap incubator from Amazon. I happened to have the last six eggs my Faverolles laid sitting in a carton on my kitchen counter. I'm not sure whether the rooster had yet had a chance to successfully breed her, and I wasn't storing them with the intent to hatch. But it's worth a shot, right? They went into the incubator this afternoon, along with three of my RIR's eggs.

Fingers crossed I can get at least one pullet from the Faverolles hen. She was SUCH a sweet, funny, odd, charming little bird. If this works, I'll try to find some Speckled Sussex hatching eggs early next year to replenish my flock.

:fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom