ALABAMA!!

We rode threw hwy 31 north to Hanceville, then came threw on hwy 91 then hit 69 hwy towards Jasper, nobody has power in any of those locations. There is trees down everywhere. Hanceville and Cullman has lots of damage, Sipsey was real bad in places, the National Guard and State troopers turned us back, the tree crews were working and they said the bridge there at Sipsey was being stressed, I guess from all the equipment they had there. Lines are down and trees down everywhere you look. Cordova is really bad. Our church is carrying food to McDonald's Chapel in the morning. Union Hill Baptist Church is the headquarters for serving cooked meals. I believe this is going to take a long time to get over. There was several cell phone towers damaged as well. My niece lives at Arley, they told them (TVA) that they didn't know how long the power was going to be out, probably weeks. I don't think Jasper suffered too much damage, they had power at Walmart.

I finally heard from my friends today!! No power or anything, but they're fine. Now, I have a friend in vestavia hills, and another in powederly to find. I so wish i could be there doing something.

Vestavia hills went relatively untouched. They are without power in many places and had trees down, but otherwise considering how bad it could have been, they came out ok. Cahaba Heights which is nearby and does have a Vestavia zip code, had a lot of straight line wind damage and hundreds of trees down.

How is all my fellow BYC friends? I have been worried for all of you! We are ok. Shellshocked, but ok. I'm in Blountsville, Alabama. My town and community are hard hit! Miraculously, no human fatalities that I have heard of locally. Most of us have fallen or uprooted trees. Two of my neighbors sustained serious home damage and were trapped in their houses for a few hours. My parents have property damage and all their phone and telephone wires are now in their driveway or accross their yard. My daddy and BIL worked for several hours with chainsaws to open a path to our neighborhood. It took my sister over three hourse to make what ususally takes twenty minutes home from work. We don't have power, many are without phone services, and cell services are iffy. Thankfully, a friend brought me her generator last night so that we could save the food in our freezer. We have already lost all our food in the refridgerator. I lost three of my baby cochins when my coop was blown over. Which makes me cry insisde. I'm so grateful to be here and ok. I'm blessed to have a great family and many old and new friends.

I also attend the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa which looks like a war zone. There are still over a hundred students and faculty members missing, so please include those families in your prayers. Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts and especially your prayers in this trying time.
Amy Myrick

Last edited:
Our power came back on today. Fortunately we are fine, but the community only about 6 miles away was hit very hard. Over 30 people died and lots of destruction. Thank you everyone for your prayers. If anyone wants to contribute to the relief in DeKalb Co., the First Methodist Church in Fort Payne has been distributing food, clothes, and health supplies for the area. You can call the church at 256-845-1141 for more information. (My wife, Marianne, is the Compassion Ministries Coordinator.)

I had eggs in lockdown when the power went out and I was afraid I had lost them, But the next morning I stuck them under a couple of broody hens. I had 7 of the 10 hatch! Fuzzy bantam cochins.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
We are getting a few in about a week. Also getting some Barred Rocks

Hi everybody, and Hi Lisa(wisher1000)
I haven't been able to get online because like wisher, I too am a first responder , and we've been working 24/7 fixing gas leaks and mains. I had just gotten a call-out and was headed to town, so I was actually a few miles behind the twister as it came into town.. If you've seen pictures in the papers, or on the news, they just can't show how it really looks like to a person standing there in the midst of it. I have worked in ALL of the sections of town that were damaged, it looks like a war zone, and Tuscaloosa will look completely different from what we know it now. Rancher hicks, just about every church here in Tuscaloosa has some kind of donation center, or volunteer effort going. There's a place here called Temporary Emergency Services, who has been helping out also, good people over there, and they would get any supplies or monies donated into the right hands. There are Katrina survivors here, and they've said the only difference between this and katrina was, no water.

Quote:
I agree. I saw a couple go by. No damage to us, but Arab and Guntersville were hit. I did see a bunch of of stuff fall behind us. I thought it was leaves at first but it was
parts of someone's house.

Back
Top Bottom