ALABAMA!!

I am new to chickens so I have a couple of questions. We want to get young chicks but I have seen a couple of discouring threads regarding ordering from a hatchery. But, unless you buy from a hatchery, how can you be sure you are getting healthy birds? Feel free to share pros and cons of each. We are near Birmingham and want to raise birds both for meat and eggs (not necessarily DP) so if you have some for sale, let me know. We have looked at ordering from McMurray.
Hello, BB! Welcome to BYC and the Alabama thread. The feed store in Northport buys (and then sells) chicks from Ideal. I have been very pleased with the birds I have gotten there. If you call, they will tell you what they are expecting and when. They get them in on Wednesday mornings, early and sometimes sell out by the end of the day. If you want something specific, they will order them for you. They have straight run for $1 each or 5 free with a 25lb bag of starter. I like the fact that you can choose the ones you want (I look for big, alert, bright eyed, clean butted chicks) but you have to get there at the right time. Too early and you won't know if they are suffering from a rough trip, too late and you might miss the good ones. On the negative side, they sometimes get pasty butt and the feed store won't help them, so tender hearted saps like me take them and nurse them back to health!

Been checking craigslist, nothing jumping out at me yet. Waiting for TSC, if that's a bust, I will go into frantic chickie acquiring mode haha.

I'm *hoping* I can feather sex TSC's chicks. I *think* I can do it. Haha. I'm gonna end up with a dozen roosters, I just know it! Well, good thing I like chicken wings.

What exactly are you looking for? Just hens? Trio? I have 6 week old rarebreed Swedish Flower hens, and a good friend of mine has all sorts of bantams. Do you have your coop ready?

Hello bbdal, welcome to BYC.
frow.gif

I am new to chickens so I have a couple of questions. We want to get young chicks but I have seen a couple of discouring threads regarding ordering from a hatchery. But, unless you buy from a hatchery, how can you be sure you are getting healthy birds? Feel free to share pros and cons of each. We are near Birmingham and want to raise birds both for meat and eggs (not necessarily DP) so if you have some for sale, let me know. We have looked at ordering from McMurray.

You should check out the chicken pages on facebook. There are several that are local. I would tell you the names here but that might not be allowed. I am Melissa Lee Lynn. Send me a friend request and I'll hook you up.
frow.gif

We're wanting about 6-8 hens. We're backyarders, so roos are a no-go, as much as I would love to have one. Why must they be so loud?

The coop is completely planned, got the hardware cloth already, just waiting for our tax return to come in to purchase all the lumber. Gonna have it come in before the 19th
smile.png

I've got a breeder setup in the house (and I have a 10x20 storage building if they need more room and it's just not warm enough for them to go out yet).

I'm one of those folks who analyze every possibility and then jump in with both feet haha. Come March 1st I will have chickies and a coop (or atleast be in the process of building it)

We're wanting about 6-8 hens. We're backyarders, so roos are a no-go, as much as I would love to have one. Why must they be so loud?

The coop is completely planned, got the hardware cloth already, just waiting for our tax return to come in to purchase all the lumber. Gonna have it come in before the 19th:)

I've got a breeder setup in the house (and I have a 10x20 storage building if they need more room and it's just not warm enough for them to go out yet).

I'm one of those folks who analyze every possibility and then jump in with both feet haha. Come March 1st I will have chickies and a coop (or atleast be in the process of building it)

Don't you love the waiting game. It's driving me crazy

Well here's you a couple pics to hold you over *lol*
I have 25 dorkings on order to be delivered February 11th. Can't wait to get started with that rare heritage breed. Working on breeder pens today....brrr!

Couple extra SFH roos available now ---pm me if interested!

Hi guys and girls.I am Dan from near Huntsville. I am brand new to BYC,currently have only 67 birds. Several different breeds,mostly heritage. Great picks by the way.Birds look happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom