ALABAMA!!

Hello slhgoodman and
welcome-byc.gif
and the Alabama board!
Your little EE's are very cute! Congrats!
Me thinks I see pretty colored eggs in your future........Welcome. Wait no longer, jump right in!!!

love.gif
They're adorable. You should see how fast quail grow. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.
lol.png
They're 3 weeks old and I can almost tell who's male or female.
lol.png
My game hens play musical nest boxes. It drives me crazy, but they always manage to hatch more chicks than I do.
I guess sometimes we just have to admit it. They are smarter than we!!! heehee

Omg!
big_smile.png
I found a video clip of my "clicker training" sessions when my chickens when they were chicks. They were taught to touch a target for food.

BTW, I transfer the behavior so they would ring a bell on my back door. Kind of like when a dog rings a bell to go outside. Actually it was the bell my dog ring when they want to come inside.

However, it was a BAD idea because unlike my dogs, those evil c
celebrate.gif
hicks rang the bell every 5 minutes to the point I finally removed the bell from my door.
Uhhhh, like I said, sometimes I think they are smarter than we think!!!

Hey there. I'm going to put this a new thread under injuries but I want to reach out to my fellow alabamians too.

One of my chicks, a ten-12 week old sizzle, has hurt her leg. The other ten chickens are growing faster then her and somehow in the pushing and shoving in their house she got hurt. I can't really tell what the injury is since I am new at this. I put pictures below. It has been two days since I noticed that she was hurt. I came in for the nightly check up and she was laying on the ground like she was dead and the other chicks were walking all over her. Once I picked her up I noticed that she was alive so I took her inside to our hospital box and gave her food and water. Once she had more energy I noticed her walking really wobbly and favoring one side. She drops her hurt leg straight out behind her but she can curl her toes and control her leg. I think it may be a broken toe because one looks all white and it bending in an odd way but I am not 100% what it's supposed to look like.

Here are pictures: Thoughts?

I have her in our kitchen in a box with pine shavings and food and water and I gave her 16 mg aspirin. Any other suggestions? Can she live like this?

Hey there. I'm going to put this a new thread under injuries but I want to reach out to my fellow alabamians too.

One of my chicks, a ten-12 week old sizzle, has hurt her leg. The other ten chickens are growing faster then her and somehow in the pushing and shoving in their house she got hurt. I can't really tell what the injury is since I am new at this. I put pictures below. It has been two days since I noticed that she was hurt. I came in for the nightly check up and she was laying on the ground like she was dead and the other chicks were walking all over her. Once I picked her up I noticed that she was alive so I took her inside to our hospital box and gave her food and water. Once she had more energy I noticed her walking really wobbly and favoring one side. She drops her hurt leg straight out behind her but she can curl her toes and control her leg. I think it may be a broken toe because one looks all white and it bending in an odd way but I am not 100% what it's supposed to look like.

Here are pictures: Thoughts?

I have her in our kitchen in a box with pine shavings and food and water and I gave her 16 mg aspirin. Any other suggestions? Can she live like this?
Ooooh, hey and thanks for jumping on in here.....ouchy, poor girl, sounds like you got to her in time. Keep her separated....don't know if I'd push to much aspirin, doubt she's still bleeding from the injury, but don't won't to rupture/tear her stomach intestines....

If she were younger, I'd say put her in a real teacup, helps to "fix" the foot if caught right away. Still might be worth a try for a few hours if you can watch her and keep her in the tea cup to make the ankle bone bend.

May end up having to splint her foot like a duck's foot. Just shape the material, I used an egg carton (styrofoam) cut into a shape of a paddle. Longer stem up the back of her leg,, and a spoon/spade shape to the front, taped her toes flat, so she would not crawl on the upper part of her ankle.....? Have to make a 90 degree angle between her ankle/wrist and the palm/toes of her feet. Make her flat footed so she has to land on the bottom of her feet to walk......Not alot going on here right now, but feel free to PM me if you have add'l questions. Good luck!!! She might be "funny footed" in the end, but truth be told, many of us have had at least one in our flock. Especially when starting out new....they end up a bit skittish, but survivors, none the least, and sometimes, the pet!!!

Last edited:
It's funny that you say that about being the pet. She is already tugging at my heart strings by being really affectionate...this sounds cheesy and border line crazy chicken lady but she seems to appreciate the TLC.

So you're suggesting that I create a foam "duck foot" shaped splint and tape her foot flat to it? I think I can manage that. I got the aspirin from another thread that said that its a safe pain reliever. I don't think there are internal issues because she is acting pretty dang healthy. The thread said to give 25mg of aspirin per lb of chicken and she is just about a pound so I have given her 16 to 20 mg a day of aspirin. I was just sitting here in the living room watching tv with my kids and feeding the dang chicken aspirin water in a syringe for half an hour.

It's funny that you say that about being the pet. She is already tugging at my heart strings by being really affectionate...this sounds cheesy and border line crazy chicken lady but she seems to appreciate the TLC.

So you're suggesting that I create a foam "duck foot" shaped splint and tape her foot flat to it? I think I can manage that. I got the aspirin from another thread that said that its a safe pain reliever. I don't think there are internal issues because she is acting pretty dang healthy. The thread said to give 25mg of aspirin per lb of chicken and she is just about a pound so I have given her 16 to 20 mg a day of aspirin. I was just sitting here in the living room watching tv with my kids and feeding the dang chicken aspirin water in a syringe for half an hour.

Well, at first injury, acute, sure, a little aspirin wiil distract from pain. But, chicks are very resilient. When you get ready to splint her and it should be asap....she will protest. Personally, I would skip the aspirin at this point.

First, like I mentioned, find an appropriate size larger tea cup, maybe a bowl, cereal bowl, to get her used to the idea of having to bend it forward. A bit of strain for her and she will not like it. Meanwhile, cut out a paddle shape piece of styrofoam.

Make sure it has a strip up the back to splint the lower part of the leg, just above the back of the ankle.
Have ready plenty of strips of little thin pieces of tape and "splint that foot in a 90 degree natural bend at the ankle" by securing with the tape. Try to stick the tape down onto the styrofoam between each toe.

Tape the ankle and lower part of the leg snug enough onto the splint to keep the 90 degree angle/flat footed.

This bandage/splint will need to be changed every 2 days to allow the foot/toes/ankle time to "dry out" and flex,

May take up to 4 to 5 days to get her walking flat footed, although her toes may not completely straighten out.

She'll still be a cutie though, and uh, er, possibly your "pet" once she forgives you for "bugging" her. heehee

Note: Be careful with the aspirin that she doesn't end up with a stomach bleed/ulcer. Come back with plain yogurt/buttermilk to restore ph and intestinal flora....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom