ALABAMA!!

Hi guys! A little bird told me there was a rabbit question?
Ok guys need some help. Hubby just adopted a baby bunny he found in the yard. We think mom was the rabbit we found deceased yesterday. I know zero about rabbits. This one is small, fits well within the palm of my hand. Is he big enough to eat on his own or do I need to bottle feed? I don't have any lettuce on hand right now. Gave him some chicken scratch. Can he eat that? Also poor thing is covered in ticks. Anything I can do about that? Any help or suggestions is really appreciated. Thanks....Robin

Bottle feeding is tricky - there's such a risk of them inhaling the formula and getting aspiration pneumonia as a result. If this bunny's eyes are open, he can eat solid food. We don't usually feed grains to rabbits, though dry, rolled oats make a good baby food for bunnies. As Alabama ee said, grass hay (coastal. timothy, etc) and water should be available at all times. If your yard hasn't been sprayed for anything, things like grass, clover or dandelions can be pulled and fed, but any greens should be removed as soon as they get wilted looking.

Wild bunnies have a tendency to quit on people - most folks wind up losing them. I raised two litters from the point of just getting their eyes open before I learned that.
roll.png

Back to your regularly scheduled state thread.
wink.png

Awe thanks so much bunnylady! With a name like that you gotta know the deal! Hubby says if the little guy is still scared stiff in the morning he'll probably just turn him loose at the spot where he picked him up. His eyes are def open, wide open and unblinking. I just hope he can hop faster than some of the ferral cats around here.

Awe thanks so much bunnylady! With a name like that you gotta know the deal! Hubby says if the little guy is still scared stiff in the morning he'll probably just turn him loose at the spot where he picked him up. His eyes are def open, wide open and unblinking. I just hope he can hop faster than some of the ferral cats around here.
ruatgr2, Ya know I told you what my father did for some wild rabbits he brought home and put in our back yard! They lived very happy lives and he called them Mr. and Mrs. Buggs they had a dog house to live in and Mrs. Buggs dug a hole under the sidewalk to have her babies in. When they got old enough to boot out of the hole Mr. Bugs took over parenting till they were grown. They all ate dog food! And played wtih the dogs and birds that we had!
My dad was an old timer from Ok. in 1914 and they did not pamper anything but knew how to take care of anything back in the day!

Hi :) Does anyone know if there is going to be a show in the Fort Payne area this summer? Don't think I can wait until fall. Hubby doesn't want me to take anymore 2 hr trips to show at the moment ($$) Thanks!

Whoo!!
celebrate.gif
I got silkie chicks!!! Wasn't expecting them until tomorrow. I got 1-blue, 1-grey(Is it a blue? I My splash orp was that color as a chick so I don't know), 1-yellowish white(I'm assuming it's a slash since none of my eggs mark "white" was viable?), 1-still in egg but has punched a hole in the shell so I no idea what color it is yet, Will update when I find out.

Here is the picture of them, If the eggs were not mark I think I would have 1 black, 1 blue and 1 white instead of 2 blues and 1 splash.

Last edited:
Whoo!!
celebrate.gif
I got silkie chicks!!! Wasn't expecting them until tomorrow. I got 1-blue, 1-grey(Is it a blue? I My splash orp was that color as a chick so I don't know), 1-yellowish white(I'm assuming it's a slash since none of my eggs mark "white" was viable?), 1-still in egg but has punched a hole in the shell so I no idea what color it is yet, Will update when I find out.
Celebration time!
wee.gif

Whoo!!
celebrate.gif

Here is the picture of them, If the eggs were not mark I think I would have 1 black, 1 blue and 1 white instead of 2 blues and 1 splash.
Congrats on your new babies!

Back
Top Bottom