ALABAMA!!

Tiff - Name and put the pics you want to post on your desktop (later you can skip this step, but I find it easier.) Then, open a "Reply" window and click the icon with the mountains and sun. It opens a window for embedding images, choose "Upload files" and in the next window you will find your pic (Desktop, scroll to your pic) Highlight it and click "Open" It then wants you to choose a size, I use medium, then click "Submit" and you're done!

Does anyone dig up for purina rewards that doesn't use Layena or Omega layer feed? They sent out a $3 off coupon for those two feeds and Layena is what we use. If anyone doesn't want it use their coupon I would like to get a couple of them. Or you could post on here for whoever wants or needs them. They expire towards the end of OCT.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! My husband has now processed chickens twice- one earlier this week and two yesterday. He had one yesterday who had a full crop, gizzard, and intestines and also a crusty butt. The rooster had been penned and withheld food but got loose this morning. He wasn't out long enough to get that full before slaughter. Any reason we should be worried about eating him with apparently some sort of blockage? Hubby said his meat looked slightly different than the other two (but that may be normal from chicken to chicken). I am still trying to figure out reasons to cull and not eat vs cull/eat or raise/slaughter. Thanks!

I wouldn't be concerned that there is anything wrong with the meat. If he was running around and acting normal, there is no cause for concern. I expect that the stress of the situation slowed his digestion down and caused upset. If there is sufficient disease to affect the muscles (meat,) there would be obvious symptoms. If you do not think you could enjoy the meat, then cook it, anyway (remember, high heat for sufficient time will kill anything, and if there is a problem, you will know it by smell as it's cooking) and feed it to the other animals (dogs, cats, chickens.) Maybe sample a taste to assure yourself that the only reason you're not eating it is in your head. I know that sometimes when hamburger has been in the fridge a while, I know it's still okay to eat but I can't enjoy it, so I do that. The dogs and chickens think it's a holiday!

yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif
Getting excited!!
yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif

Leaving Ft Benning area and heading up to Helfin AL to meet Mr. McCarey and hopefully have a couple/three Buckeyes and them down below Birmingham to pick up a couple Silkies for my daughter and then home. Long ride for chickens but it will be a good ride! Is it Sunday yet!!!

WELL? No word? No pictures? No fair!!!
gig.gif

I know that you are probably too busy enjoying your new chickens to sit at the computer, but we need news!! And you know the rule - It didn't happen till we see pics!

I just love this guy and the trip was well worth it. Chris McCary has Buckeyes and LeFlech (spelling?) And was truly helpful and I ended up learning in 3 hours more tham months of reading articles online. Trip ended up taking 13 hours and we hit the rain on the way home. My daughter got the silkies posted onnhere earlier and is crazy for them. I learned I need a better crate if I'm going to show as water cup spilled mixed with poop and I had 3 very yucky birds at the end. Sorry about my late post.

Back
Top Bottom