ALABAMA!!

..It's a joke. I tried to explain what I meant by it, but I see that's not having any effect. If you have decided you are going to be angry about something minor, I am not going to be able to change your mind on that.

Sorry I offended, seriously not meant to. I'd tell you to lighten up, but that would probably be condescending too.

not much you can do about the easily offended.

My coop is nearly finished! We couldn't glue the flooring down today because the temperature is so low but it is cut out and laying in place for the moment. If my building wasn't so full of tools and things I'd take a picture to share.
roll.png
I just need to finish painting the nest boxes, and a few other places that were added and I will be done with that. I know I'm going to try the 5G bucket with those little nipple things for water but I haven't fully settled on what for the food one.

A couple things bugging me about the coop... my dad didn't make it as wide as what we had talked about but only by about a foot, the chicken door I wanted up off the ground some so bedding wouldn't spill out, I'm hoping with the nest boxes not being on the ground they won't sleep in them, and that the roost is not to high but we can make a ramp for that bit.
Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it and my husband can't wait for the chicks to go out because my first set is over 6 weeks old now, make the house stink, and they are getting cramped!

Haha true just not this year. I'm new to chickens and picked up a dozen pullets last week from the feed store supposed to be white leghorns 
,building the coop now whats the best wire to use to keep the critters out Ive got chicken wire across the top of the run to keep out the hawks. But what about the coons, bears and others?

The best wire is hardware cloth. The stuff with the 1/2 inch or so squares. It will do the best at keeping out critters. Not sure if anything would keep out bears though. Best bet is to have a secure shelter capable of being locked at night.

My coop is nearly finished! We couldn't glue the flooring down today because the temperature is so low but it is cut out and laying in place for the moment. If my building wasn't so full of tools and things I'd take a picture to share. :rolleyes:   I just need to finish painting the nest boxes, and a few other places that were added and I will be done with that. I know I'm going to try the 5G bucket with those little nipple things for water but I haven't fully settled on what for the food one. 

A couple things bugging me about the coop... my dad didn't make it as wide as what we had talked about but only by about a foot, the chicken door I wanted up off the ground some so bedding wouldn't spill out, I'm hoping with the nest boxes not being on the ground they won't sleep in them, and that the roost is not to high but we can make a ramp for that bit. 
Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it and my husband can't wait for the chicks to go out because my first set is over 6 weeks old now, make the house stink, and they are getting cramped!  
Ive been usind the 5 gal plastic feed thingy from tractor supply because ive been using medicated chick starter. I bought some scratch grains and black oil sunflower seeds and have been mixing equal parts with water. Had all intentions of lacto fermenting but the chix eat it so fast it hasnt fermented yet. Mine love soggy feed.

Well, I've evicted the chicks. Got them outside. They were driving me bonkers, last straw was them EATING the puppy pad (like, entire mouth fulls). Normally I have no such issues... I think I have been 'blessed' with 6 boys, never seen such a rowdy bunch of chicks in my life
lol.png

Well, I've evicted the chicks. Got them outside. They were driving me bonkers, last straw was them EATING the puppy pad (like, entire mouth fulls). Normally I have no such issues... I think I have been 'blessed' with 6 boys, never seen such a rowdy bunch of chicks in my life
lol.png
How many chicks do you have now? I'm sure enjoyed their field trip outside today

How many chicks do you have now? I'm sure enjoyed their field trip outside today

Just 6. TSC has sold out of chicks every week since my initial 6
roll.png

They'd been outside a few times before, but this time they're staying outside. I got the heat plate under the top of an old litterbox. Perfect fit. I just checked and they were all under it. I'm a tough love momma
lol.png

I'm still in love with my coop. It is so darn handy that I can section off a part of it for chicks.

These pics are from the last batch, but it shows the setup. The litterbox shown is the one I took the top from
smile.png

i put my 6 new chicks in the new coop this week as well. i sectioned it off and let my 2 older birds in there with them. the older girl used the new egg boxes like a champ and both were roosting on the new bars.

Back
Top Bottom