ALABAMA!!

new batch of homebrewed pale ale got opened last night.lol

Interesting! Home brewing seems like fun
smile.png
I got some fantastic barley on Ebay (to sprout for the chicks), and saw all the homebrewing stuff advertised with it. Home made beer and wine would totally be my thing. Yum.

Hi! I'm new to the site! I live in Argo, Al. I started with 5 chicks one died and I'm down to 4. They are 3 weeks old today. They are so much fun! I have a coop outside but right now the chicks are in a brooder we made from a horse trough and in my house. I'm new to all things chicken. But look forward to learning from all of you/quote]Welcome. Which breed of chicks do u have?

I have 2 bantam silkies and 2 sexlinks (I don't really know what kind they are). My silkies are so sweet but the other 2 chicks totally freak out and run away when I try to hold them.

coop is finished just needs paint

Looks great! What color(s) are you going to paint it? I would love to see some pics of the other sides and the interior........
fl.gif

Is the front (back?) completely open? If not, you will need more ventilation. Here in Alabama, you will have way more trouble with too much heat than too much cold. A full wall of wire that faces south will usually do the trick, I would also suggest putting it in the shade if possible.

My coop(s) are pretty much open air. One is 12x16 with only the end enclosed (4x12) on three sides. The rest is wire. The second one is unfinished but it has a tin roof and is solid up four feet and wire up four feet to the eve. I'm a little concerned there will not be enough breeze blowing at floor level on that one........... am considering putting in some low, wire covered windows.

Not much shade on my place it was clearcut about five years ago. It has two big doors on the front and when the run is finished I can leave them open. I can always make the windows bigger I have the heat lamp in there with them now at night still pretty chilly

For Sale, 2 New Hampshire pullets ordered from Murray McMurray, 6 weeks old with Merck vaccination, Also 1 Columbian Rock Rooster 5 weeks old. $10. each or $27. for all three, Montevallo, Al.

If it were mine, I would make a long narrow (hardware cloth covered) vent under the roof on the high (nest box?) side so the warmer air will travel up and out there. I would also make those doors just frames and cover them with hardware cloth. You can always staple plastic on them in the winter if the temps get well below freezing. The heat lamp should not be heating the whole area the chicks are in. It should be a warm spot for them to go to if needed. Think of it as a surrogate hen. They will feather-in much more quickly if they are in and out of the cool air. I put a lamp in my brooder and the food and water on the opposite side so they run back and forth between the two areas. Outside, when they temps drop significantly during the night, I put two lamps over the chicks in case one bulb blows. During the day I turn one off.

Last edited:
Interesting! Home brewing seems like fun :) I got some fantastic barley on Ebay (to sprout for the chicks), and saw all the homebrewing stuff advertised with it. Home made beer and wine would totally be my thing. Yum.
its a learning thing like raising chicks. And as rewarding when u get it right. I am going to get some citra hop rhizomes and try my luck at growing them as well. Its pretty easy to brew because there are forums like this chicken site

Back
Top Bottom