ALABAMA!!

Hi! I am located in north alabama....in crossville. Near guntersville lake. I am looking to buy chickens to start our flock! Any sellers in the area?! Willing to travel some!!

Hello, Yellostickybr! Welcome to BYC and the ALABAMA!! Thread. We are really glad you joined us here and are getting into chickens. Tell us what you are looking for. What age chickens, what breeds, large or bantam, how many.

I have TONS of chicks that need good homes but I may be too far for you to go. I'm in West Tuscaloosa County. My chicks are Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, Black Orpingtons, and a rainbow of mutts!!! Most of mine are selling for 3/$5. The Black Orps are $5 each.

Tomtom,
A NPIP agent said that abt. 90% of the back yard flocks has it and so do the commercial chicken farms and it is a don't ask don't tell situation. I do not agree with that, but I am just telling you what I was told. The commercial chicken farms still sale the chickens and they go into the grocery stores and the eggs are still sold as well. It does not hurt anything or anyone. And this is according to the state of AL. NPIP employees. Again not trying to cause a problem but you did buy your birds from TSC and they got them from a NPIP hatchery so your birds were from a NPIP tested flock.

Tomtom,
A NPIP agent said that abt. 90% of the back yard flocks has it and so do the commercial chicken farms and it is a don't ask don't tell situation. I do not agree with that, but I am just telling you what I was told. The commercial chicken farms still sale the chickens and they go into the grocery stores and the eggs are still sold as well. It does not hurt anything or anyone. And this is according to the state of AL. NPIP employees. Again not trying to cause a problem but you did buy your birds from TSC and they got them from a NPIP hatchery so your birds were from a NPIP tested flock.

I had come to that conclusion after reading more on specific issues. One of those things that is impossible to avoid and you don't even know you have until they get sick. All it really takes is one idiot coming in with soiled clothing and they can get all those bins of chicks sick at TSC too. People are pretty darn lax in their safety measures.... I see a LOT of people who go to auctions, swaps, shows and meets and they just bring birds, take some home, give them to others.

I think my adult birds will get over it, not sure about the little ones, although they seem to be doing better now that they have the heat lamp for extra warmth. This weather is just too much on their systems. How one day, drenched the other.. add the pollen count to that and anyones immune system would be overloaded.

I had come to that conclusion after reading more on specific issues. One of those things that is impossible to avoid and you don't even know you have until they get sick. All it really takes is one idiot coming in with soiled clothing and they can get all those bins of chicks sick at TSC too. People are pretty darn lax in their safety measures.... I see a LOT of people who go to auctions, swaps, shows and meets and they just bring birds, take some home, give them to others.

I think my adult birds will get over it, not sure about the little ones, although they seem to be doing better now that they have the heat lamp for extra warmth. This weather is just too much on their systems. How one day, drenched the other.. add the pollen count to that and anyones immune system would be overloaded.
Hopefully the little ones will be able to fight it off and get well. Enjoy your birds Tomtom.
I do not take my birds to sales or go to swaps. And I have become very picky about who or where I get my birds from. I did buy some roosters once and kept them in quarantine till I sold them. And now that I have new chicks I am building new pens for them. So my hens will get to keep their coop that was built for them.

HI! Thank you for the warm welcome!! I am looking for some easter eggers, Rhode island reds other than those two. I am not going to be picky, there are so many beautiful birds I just love them all. A nice temperament would be a plus. We have completed out coop this weekend, needs only to be grounded for the electric fencing. We got pushed out because the rain got to heavy. I would prefer a lil older, dont have to be laying yet. But old and big enough not to need a heat lamp. I am not set up for that as of yet. But I am excited to learn more. I have looked in many places online and cant find anything but baby chick or hatching eggs, which sound adorable and fun, just not what suites us at this time. I am in Dekalb County, i am not sure how far Tuscaloosa but I am wiling to travel some, are you ever put near this way? maybe if you are we can meet half way?? I would like to start with 6-9 chickens
thanks for reading and your help!!

Back
Top Bottom