ALABAMA!!

Just recently got my wife into chickens 6 months ago, I bought her 35 RIR chicks for valentines, all born on valentines incidentaly. I built a large brooder, and we're looking into selling and breeding looking into npip certs. Babies are growing alot faster than I remember, and are super active despite the weather, brooder is doing fantastic. I'll be ordering dominiques as soon as these are out as well as some my parents are looking to buy.

Welcome Nick. Tell us about your flock.
frow.gif

Just recently got my wife into chickens 6 months ago, I bought her 35 RIR chicks for valentines, all born on valentines incidentaly. I built a large brooder, and we're looking into selling and breeding looking into npip certs. Babies are growing alot faster than I remember, and are super active despite the weather, brooder is doing fantastic. I'll be ordering dominiques as soon as these are out as well as some my parents are looking to buy.

I got chicks for valentines too way better than last years jewelry

I got chicks for valentines too way better than last years jewelry
Jealous! I was supposed to get chicks for Valentine's Day but the people we were getting from had a problem with their incubator and didn't have a full hatch. I was lower on the list, so I missed out this go-round. I am at the top for their next hatch though! How are your Valentine Chicklets doing?

Ours are doing great they are all way bigger than expected, had a problem with three first day had to doctor them a bit and the wife took them to work with her, they were all perfect and she put them in with the rest at lunch. The brooder is built to accommodate twice the chicks that are in there now, so it looks like the chick olympics with them running everywhere.

My chick a poos are doing great also just changed their bedding they were not to Happy about that but I was still yet to figure out mystery chicks I thought Leghorn but there the same size if not bigger than the other chicks does the size difference happen after they get bigger?

My hunny decided to put half the roof up before work, woohoo.
lol.png
We put up beams, OSB, tar paper and flashing yesterday, since he was off. And this morning he did half of the shingles. It's getting to be good looking. Still gotta build the actual interior coop, make a door, mount the hardware cloth, sink the last post (we didn't have enough concrete last time) and pour river sand in their sunbathing area.... But, it's really nice looking!

I've planned it all out. Week of March 4th I think they should be able to go outside during the day, light in the coop available. Then the week after that they go outside fulltime, with a light in the coop. Week after that, light only at night. After that, no light. End of March temps should be just fine and they will be 5 and 6 weeks old. Ofcourse, we kinda play it by ear, if we have freak March blizzards, they're staying indoors.

Back
Top Bottom