ALABAMA!!

I just read that cocci is a parasite - they are on medicated feed and I have seen some diarrhea but it is not like every bird has diarrhea. Should we treat them for cocci and see if it helps? Any natural treatments? Will treatment affect the meat and/or eggs when that time comes?
Thanks again!

I purposely chose NOT to use medicated food. I feel it kills beneficial bacteria as well... possibly causing more internal upset just by throwing the natural balance off. But I highly doubt that alone would cause your babies to perish.

Someone else with more experience will likely be able to better help you, or even someone in the health section of the forums..

Good luck!

Tomtom.... looking great! Similar to our set-up. I will say this, we LOVE our coop set-up but even though we free-range, our run needs to be bigger. They get too snippy with one another when they have to be penned up on occasion. So for my birthday (in May) I'm getting an expansion! lol, the need for a longer run probably has something to do with chicken math too............

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
I AM OFFICIALLY NPIP TESTED!!!!!!!!!!! AND JUST IN TIME FOR THE SHOWS!!
celebrate.gif
Just had to get that out there.
wink.png

Would love to have someone explain the process. I have picked up bits and pieces but never had anyone explain the whole process beginning to end. What is the cost and is it something you must maintian annually?

Tomtom.... looking great! Similar to our set-up. I will say this, we LOVE our coop set-up but even though we free-range, our run needs to be bigger. They get too snippy with one another when they have to be penned up on occasion. So for my birthday (in May) I'm getting an expansion! lol, the need for a longer run probably has something to do with chicken math too............

Yeah... math was my best subject in school
lol.png

I've got atleast one roo, so in my mind, that's one more spot freed up in the future... right? I'm fighting the urge to go to TSC and see if they've gotten their "ameraucanas" in yet. But I need some other things there, so I may not be able to avoid it. We ran a little short on hardware cloth, which is part of the modifications needed.. turns out you actually need about 1-2 inches to attach the wire
wink.png
And when you build on a slope... you end up wasting some wire too.

There's nothing to it. Call the state ag number and tell them your county and they will have the tester call you back. He will set up an appointment to come out and test your flock (he randomly tested 15 of my 30.) The IA test is a throat swab and the Pullorum (SP?) is a prick under the wing. Then you get the paperwork and the number comes in the mail a time later. As long as your flock stays closed, or you quarantine new arrivals, you are good to use the number. They want you to follow all in/ all out program, but they know backyarders don't. The best thing is that you can get birds necropsied, free of charge, at one of the two state labs - they may limit the number, though.

OH! and he comes back once a year and re-tests!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom