ALABAMA!!

Hahaha, I was wondering how ppl do this! I guess we will figure out something.... :)
Maybe I will section off part of the run and have my hubby make a large dog house type building for the roos and then keep them in there. But then I have to figure out where to let them mate so I will have fertile eggs... hummmm

Wow, this is such a small world! Your dad may know my husband and his sister in law she is an inspector for the Health Dept. 
my dad knows everyone! He retired like 3 and a half maybe 4 years ago but logged over 25 years with the health department. His name is John Sobera maybe they do know him! Youre more than welcome to ask! What a small world.

Last edited:
I will ask my husband if he knows him. He knows many ppl from this area he grew up here. I am a transplant from Cali.... lol
But I have been here since 1989. So I am an Alabamian now! lol

Hi ceeceeholt
I was wondering how breeders or ppl that sell their eggs keep the hens and roos seperate so that you don't get mixed chicks? I am trying to figure this out before we build the run this weekend.
I am scared to put all the hens and roos in the same run and have a mixed up mess.... lol can you offer some advice please?

I am in the process of building 3 portable Chicken Tractors and will place each breed in a different one. I plan to also let the chickens free range some too and will keep them separate by not letting but one breed outside at a time. I am doing this to help fertilize my garden spot and hopefully get rid of some noxious weed seed that have been invading my garden. I am beginning to get a lot of "iron weed, or tea weed" and hope my chickens will scratch and eat them.
Does anyone else have these weeds in their garden or pasture? Mine appeared a couple years ago, and the county extension agent said I wasn't the only one and that they could have come from anywhere and were common. I had never seen them before and thought I might have gotten them in some hay I bought for the horses.

And we accept you with open arms! My dad was born and raised in Selma and lived there up until about 6 years ago. Where are you guys located now? We live close to ky in-laws in Parrish Alabama closest to jasper but near enoughto Birmingham to count. :)

The chicklets are here! The chicklets are here!
wee.gif

5 golden comets and 5 araucanas

Pics to follow soon. Can't wait to show off my new brooder too. We are going all TSC this year and brooding in a stock tank. Should be able to house them in it until the weather warms up.

I have to many fences around the property for the cows to separate the pastures to use those I believe. I only have abt. an acre that I am building the chicken coop and run on and there are alot of old oak trees on that side of the pasture. I may have to talk my husband into building me another small run for mating the chickens... I am not sure. I will talk to him about it before we start putting in the posts.... lol

The only way to keep your chicks pure is to keep your breeds seperate. I have a very large coop and run for my ameraucana flock (which lays only blue eggs) I have some other breed hens in there (laying white or brown eggs) just for fun but only ameraucana roosters. I use a 8X8 dog kennel for my smaller flocks of BCM and bantum cochins. Makes for more work. Watering, feeding etc. But it is the only way not to have "mutt" chicks.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom