ALABAMA!!

Hello, all. I'm new to BYC and really excited about getting started. Years ago my in-laws had chickens large-scale, but backyarding is new to me. I have one issue...I can't seem to locate the Birmingham city ordinance regarding keeping chickens. I live on the east side of Birmingham, but definitely in the city limits. I've heard both "yes" and "no" on keeping them, but can't confirm either. Any of you know? I'm sort of in limbo until I'm sure.

This is what I found on http://library.municode.com

Sec. 18-8. - Keeping of domestic animals and fowl.
hyperlink.png

No person shall keep or house any animals within the city except dogs cats, birds, or animals commonly classified as pets. No horse, cow, calf, swine, sheep, goat, chickens, geese or ducks shall be kept in any dwelling or part thereof. Nor shall any such animal be kept on the same lot or premises with a dwelling. This offense is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or $500.00 fine.
(Code 1963, § 9.64; Ord. No. 2075, 11-28-11)

Now, this is for the city of Birmingham. I -have- seen an ordinance before that they are allowed on lots zoned differently, but I cannot find it. Not sure where exactly you live.. there may be an excepting to your area. You can always contact local authorities and see what they say. If you'd like to make a case to make chicken keeping legal, there's a whole bunch of threads on how to do it.

If you're downtown, I don't think you'll have much luck *laugh* but further out... who knows?​

Hello, all. I'm new to BYC and really excited about getting started. Years ago my in-laws had chickens large-scale, but backyarding is new to me. I have one issue...I can't seem to locate the Birmingham city ordinance regarding keeping chickens. I live on the east side of Birmingham, but definitely in the city limits. I've heard both "yes" and "no" on keeping them, but can't confirm either. Any of you know? I'm sort of in limbo until I'm sure.

All is Palm,

We're in Crestwood. The Birmingham City ordinance states: All poultry housing is to be at least 100 ft from any residential dwelling and 15 ft away from property boundaries (I think they're pretty lax about distances so long as the birds aren't a nuisance). Maximum flock size is 25 birds with a maximum of two roosters permitted.

A few of the local municipalities have varying laws but in Birmingham it's fine. I think Hoover is a no-go, but Mountain Brook doesn't even have an ordinance mentioning poultry, just one saying all animals kept must be reasonably quiet and produce no noxious odors.

I lived in Vestavia(Cahaba Heights part) for many years. They have a noise ordinance. They made a buddy of mine across the street from me get rid of his roosters because a mean old bat of a neighbor complained.

Not sure of limits on keeping hens, etc.,....

Strange that there are so many different ordinances out there! And it's funny for the more 'well to do' areas to be so accepting of chickens
lol.png
I suppose it helps if you have a massive lot...

Hey there Green Acres!

I'm interested to see if you got an answer to your organic feed question. I've got my first backyard flock coming in a month or so and live right next door to you in Elberta! So if you found somewhere around here that does sell it, I'd be interested. Hope your backyard chicken adventures are going great!

Strange that there are so many different ordinances out there! And it's funny for the more 'well to do' areas to be so accepting of chickens
lol.png
I suppose it helps if you have a massive lot...

I don't think it's that the "well to do" places are accepting. I think it's more that it's never been an issue thus there is no ordinance banning it. There was recently a segment on Good Day Alabama about raising backyard chickens. And a few of the local municipalities ordinances were given; a lady from MB basically said no one's doing it there, so there's never been a law created there concerning the subject.

Birmingham itself had outright banned raising "livestock/poultry", but later went back to amend the ordinance in 2010 or 2011 to allow fowl and rabbits under certain conditions. Those conditions being flock limits, housing criteria for the flock, zoning restrictions ( as long as you're in a residential area it's ok ), and so long as it's not a commercial operation ( all animals raised are to be for the personal consumption of the family of the property owner) though I've never heard of anyone getting fined for giving extra eggs to neighbors.

Haven't been on this thread in awhile, but I remember that some people wanted some blue black splash copper marans. Well I was looking threw the chilton county mule trader and I found some for sale 5-7 $ each.

I don't think it's that the "well to do" places are accepting. I think it's more that it's never been an issue thus there is no ordinance banning it. There was recently a segment on Good Day Alabama about raising backyard chickens. And a few of the local municipalities ordinances were given; a lady from MB basically said no one's doing it there, so there's never been a law created there concerning the subject.

Birmingham itself had outright banned raising "livestock/poultry", but later went back to amend the ordinance in 2010 or 2011 to allow fowl and rabbits under certain conditions. Those conditions being flock limits, housing criteria for the flock, zoning restrictions ( as long as you're in a residential area it's ok ), and so long as it's not a commercial operation ( all animals raised are to be for the personal consumption of the family of the property owner) though I've never heard of anyone getting fined for giving extra eggs to neighbors.

I think I found the ordinance that banned it. Glad to hear that got changed.

Back
Top Bottom