ALABAMA!!

Whoo!!
celebrate.gif
I got silkie chicks!!! Wasn't expecting them until tomorrow. I got 1-blue, 1-grey(Is it a blue? I My splash orp was that color as a chick so I don't know), 1-yellowish white(I'm assuming it's a slash since none of my eggs mark "white" was viable?), 1-still in egg but has punched a hole in the shell so I no idea what color it is yet, Will update when I find out.

Here is the picture of them, If the eggs were not mark I think I would have 1 black, 1 blue and 1 white instead of 2 blues and 1 splash.

That's great. Any hatching--even if it's just several Heinz 57's--is kind of a special thing.

Just a reminder to everyone, it's that time of year again. Time to check for snakes in and around the coop at night. I lost 3 of my quail to a rat snake. It was still in the cage this morning when dad went to feed everyone. I now only have one female left. This is not a good way to start the day.

So sorry, Raz! That stinks. I, too, found a snake in the coop this week. It was a four foot grey rat snake and it had eaten one of the golfballs that I use in the nest boxes. I caught it, worked the golfball up it's body and back out it's mouth, then transported it miles from my house to a cornfield to release it.

I don't know if it will survive, but if it does, I bet it won't eat eggs again anytime soon,
if ever!
gig.gif

Last edited:
Just a reminder to everyone, it's that time of year again. Time to check for snakes in and around the coop at night. I lost 3 of my quail to a rat snake. It was still in the cage this morning when dad went to feed everyone. I now only have one female left. This is not a good way to start the day.
Oh Radadia that is horrible! So sorry!

So sorry, Raz! That stinks. I, too, found a snake in the coop this week. It was a four foot grey rat snake and it had eaten one of the golfballs that I use in the nest boxes. I caught it, worked the golfball up it's body and back out it's mouth, then transported it miles from my house to a cornfield to release it.

I don't know if it will survive, but if it does, I bet it won't eat eggs again anytime soon,
if ever!
gig.gif
That is too funny Wisher!

hugs.gif
So sorry Raz

if ever!
gig.gif
I needed a good laugh!
lol.png

Whoo!!
celebrate.gif
I got silkie chicks!!! Wasn't expecting them until tomorrow. I got 1-blue, 1-grey(Is it a blue? I My splash orp was that color as a chick so I don't know), 1-yellowish white(I'm assuming it's a slash since none of my eggs mark "white" was viable?), 1-still in egg but has punched a hole in the shell so I no idea what color it is yet, Will update when I find out.

Here is the picture of them, If the eggs were not mark I think I would have 1 black, 1 blue and 1 white instead of 2 blues and 1 splash.
Oh I am so glad they hatched!!! Some come out lighter shades and some darker. I hope the other hatches. Looks like your Orps did a good job!

Anyone willing to drive to Brewton, I have Sebright chicks for FREE. I incubated 2 dozen but my white orpington hatched 11 successfully so I don't need these that are due to hatch Wednesday. The chicks will be assorted, either buff or gold

Need some advice.... I have an Amercaunia roo that is a pain in my tail. He is the only survivor from our first hatch, and colored beautifully, so I don't want to get rid of him but I am at the point if not being able to take his attitude anymore. Hubby says he's just misunderstood, but he enjoys going after my girls and I when we are outside. He leaves the hubby and son alone, but the girls and I have to carry a stick or something with us to fight him off when we are outside. Last night was the worst, he'd go after one of my feet while I was trying to get him away with the other for about 5 minutes. Then tried to bite me when I was getting the rest of the chickens to put them to bed. He also leads the other amercaunias in picking on my Doms when they get the chance.

There are some things you can do to fix it, but I do not think it is worth it. I would get rid of him before he hurts someone. It would be terrible if he hurt your kids.

Need some advice.... I have an Amercaunia roo that is a pain in my tail. He is the only survivor from our first hatch, and colored beautifully, so I don't want to get rid of him but I am at the point if not being able to take his attitude anymore. Hubby says he's just misunderstood, but he enjoys going after my girls and I when we are outside. He leaves the hubby and son alone, but the girls and I have to carry a stick or something with us to fight him off when we are outside. Last night was the worst, he'd go after one of my feet while I was trying to get him away with the other for about 5 minutes. Then tried to bite me when I was getting the rest of the chickens to put them to bed. He also leads the other amercaunias in picking on my Doms when they get the chance.

Back
Top Bottom