ALABAMA!!

Oh no TomTommom...so sorry to hear that. Hugs to you and your family.
Goodness, prayers for you all.
hugs.gif

H
Not always. I had a RIR/BA roo that pecked at people, but it wasn't because he was aggressive. He just just expected you to have treats. My HRIR from the same hatch does it too, but other than that he's a sweetheart. I'm not sure that it goes for all roos, but I had an AGF roo that fluffed out his neck feathers before he pecked and when he did that he was trying to draw blood.

He fluffed his feathers but not sure if he did it in response to her running away after he pecked her. I don't want to assume that all chickens that peck are being aggressive. Obviously I don't want to risk it with this particular one since we really only need one rooster and our head rooster never really comes near us except to look for food.

Not always. I had a RIR/BA roo that pecked at people, but it wasn't because he was aggressive. He just just expected you to have treats. My HRIR from the same hatch does it too, but other than that he's a sweetheart. I'm not sure that it goes for all roos, but I had an AGF roo that fluffed out his neck feathers before he pecked and when he did that he was trying to draw blood.

True, more behaviors are unfortunately labeled aggresion, when often it's curiosity, mating rituals, etc. especially a young roo. Now an older roo, it will deinitely be a change of behavior from his "norm".

Be watchful and present a "presence of dominance," such as flapping your arms, stomping your foot, and I almost always have a bamboo cane to point/guide them where to go, and will pop it on the ground in front or behind them if they tend to stray or dodge my directions (in the garden, rushing the door, etc.)

I've had to "tap" my roo on the bum on occasion to get his attention, kinda cute 'cause he jumps stright up off the ground in shock.

I also believe in handling a roo fairly often as noted in other posts. It's all part of the husbandry care that will need to be done, so it's a good idea to keep him familiar with "my" routines.

It's a decision and a process only you can determine in the end. Good luck.

Note: If I have to "over" correct, when they are out ranging, etc, then they/he will go immediately into the coop. Or withhold treats, etc. Takes away the reward for good behavior.

Last edited:
True, more behaviors are unfortunately labeled aggresion, when often it's curiosity, mating rituals, etc. especially a young roo. Now an older roo, it will deinitely be a change of behavior from his "norm".

Be watchful and present a "presence of dominance," such as flapping your arms, stomping your foot, and I almost always have a bamboo cane to point/guide them where to go, and will pop it on the ground in front or behind them if they tend to stray or dodge my directions (in the garden, rushing the door, etc.)

I've had to "tap" my roo on the bum on occasion to get his attention, kinda cute 'cause he jumps stright up off the ground in shock.

I also believe in handling a roo fairly often as noted in other posts. It's all part of the husbandry care that will need to be done, so it's a good idea to keep him familiar with "my" routines.

It's a decision and a process only you can determine in the end. Good luck.

Note: If I have to "over" correct, when they are out ranging, etc, then they/he will go immediately into the coop. Or withhold treats, etc. Takes away the reward for good behavior.
In general, I'm real hesitant about letting children around hens or roosters. Especially if they are under 3 feet tall. Just too easy to have eye injury etc. from pecking in general......

Last edited:
It's going to be a longer road than expected.. She's coughing up quite a bit of blood and her stats are not wanting to stay up without the CPAP machine.

Her nurse actually recognized us from being there with my mother-in-law..
Tomtom, I am so sorry! I hope and pray that she will get better! I will keep praying for you and your family! "Hugs"
hugs.gif

In general, I'm real hesitant about letting children around hens or roosters. Especially if they are under 3 feet tall. Just too easy to have eye injury etc. from pecking in general......

I think that's very wise. About a week ago one of my chicks was separated from the mother hen and couldn't get back to her. I reached down to pick her up and put her back with the hen when the hen flew at me full bore, cutting my face slightly, missing my eye by about 1/4" inch. Lesson learned. I'm sure all broodies aren't like this, but she attacks any other hen in the chicks' presence.

I'm so sorry to hear about the snake losses. I hope what happened here a few days ago might help someone. I was walking by the coop and looked over to see a snake trying to get in. He was after the chicks, no doubt, but he couldn't get through the 1/2" hardware cloth. I went after him, following him around the corner, where some bird netting that I had over the run had fallen to the ground. He went into it and couldn't escape. The more he moved, the more stuck he got. I wish I'd taken a photo. I wanted to save my netting, but it would have been too difficult to extract him. Anyway, I had read that you could place a barrier of bird netting on the ground to trap snakes and now I know firsthand how well it works. Needless to say, I'm sold on hardware cloth, too.

Thanks! We got them from an individual. Obviously I will not tolerate even a chicken pecking at my daughter unprovoked but am I correct in assuming that if a rooster pecks then that is beginnings of aggression? He just doesn't have spurs yet so he pecks? Any other signs to watch for?

I guess just be mindful of his overall demeanor. Is his stance aggressive and threatening or more laid back? That kind of thing. BTW, I got speared when my back was turned to the rooster. Since then, I don't turn my back on them unless I have to.

Yeah, I've been pecked for treats and some hens will peck your hand when you reach under for the egg. Back in the day my grandmother always had little marks on the back of her hand from being pecked while gathering eggs. There's a difference between being pecked for treats and a rooster bowing up to draw blood. Once you've seen it you know the difference.
hmm.png

Thanks, everyone! I think definitely a combination of keeping my daughter at a good distance from the chickens along with watching for any aggression signs in the chickens and culling those will make me feel better.

Sharon,

I'm also in Semmes (just down the road from MGM). Where are y'all buying your feed?

I am in the stages of planning my hen house and run. I'm going to slightly modify the hen house plan by Purina (http://poultry.purinamills.com/stellent/groups/public/documents/web_content/ecmp2-0160674.pdf) and attache a 6' x 4' fun in front of it. My main modification will be to put the nest boxes on the side instead of the front so we can easily get to with the run in front. I think I'll procure our little ladies locally.

Wyld Bill
Semmes, AL

Back
Top Bottom