ALABAMA!!

How's everyone doing in this nasty cold snap? I'm having to run warm water out of the house to my horse and chickens every couple of hours because everything outside is frozen solid. Luckily, we stayed just warm enough to avoid any real accumulation last night here in Auburn; our roads are in good shape. It looks like that's not the case just a little bit north of here.

We are cold but the roads are fine around North Alabama. I hate schlepping water in winter so I splurged by buying a big heated watering bucket. I plug it in only when it is cold for more than a day and then I alternate my chicken waters which float in it, and thaw. I simply go out in the morning and switch the frozen one in the coop for the floating one out of the bucket. It will hold several of the small ones or two of my big ones. Beats carrying water all the way from the house. I have also noticed that the one I have for the dog puts out just a little bit of heat making his stall just a bit warmer. We don't get that cold very often but it sure is nice. In my book that was one expense that is worth it.

Hi!  You are very close to me!  My parents and brother and sister both live in Springville.  Hope you are staying warm!!!  Any tips on keeping water from freezing?

Bring the water dishes and feeders in at night take them back in morning.
I use hot water in the mornings. I have 3 or 4 old Tea jugs i pack them around to the coops and tractor. I have no clever way of keeping water clear of ice for my 2 ducks. However they love the hot water in their large drinking dish. The goat tank i just break it twice aday.
Good thing about Alabama the winter cold doesn't linger. Will be back to normal tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom