ALABAMA!!

Hello Alabama! I'm a new chikie momma... Well my chikies are big girls now and started laying today or yesterday or... My question is can I still eat the eggs? I don't have a rooster. They didn't lay in the nesting box so I didn't see them until I was cleaning the coop today.

Yes you can eat the eggs. The only reason for a rooster is to fertilize the eggs if you want them to hatch.
Sorry seems like only part of my comment posted. The rest was... my chickens we're laying up beside the door instead of the nesting box so I didn't realize they had started laying until I cleaned the coop. So at Max the eggs were there for four days. I do not have a rooster so they are not fertilised. The weather has been very cool for the last few days. Can still eat the eggs?

Hello Alabama! I'm a new chikie momma... Well my chikies are big girls now and started laying today or yesterday or... My question is can I still eat the eggs? I don't have a rooster. They didn't lay in the nesting box so I didn't see them until I was cleaning the coop today.

Unrefrigorated eggs will last at least a month, probably longer.

The weather has been very cool for the last few days. Can still eat the eggs?

Yes you can. The only time I worry about mine is in the heat of the summer and they lay somewhere I don't find them and they're in the hot sun. Those I usually just throw in the compost pile just to be safe. If you're worried, you can put the eggs in water. If they sink, they're ok, if they float, they've got some funk in them and I wouldn't eat them.

Back
Top Bottom