ALABAMA!!

@Seldoon - Welcome! We're both about the same distance from Talladega to put it in perspective :)
Hey! I see your avatar is ducks - we have just gotten our first ducks (2 quickly became 4... we love them 😅) and I am building my outdoor enclosure for them this weekend. Any tips??
I’m going to be housing them with my seramas - odd choice, I know, but they shared the brooder together and they’ve gotten rather attached to each other. The Seramas just want to be where the ducks are and they all get along so great I can see any reason to separate them now.
I’m thinking a 12x8 foot run (size of my other two runs) with a 2’ deep 5x5 pond (above ground) and a coop with nesting area for the ducks and perches for the seramas.

@ElizH - From experiences, a few things! We also have chickens and have raised them together fine in the past. However, our Khaki males tend to not only protect the lady ducks (we have a bully hen who used to be mean to our female duck) but also if you end up with all male ducks - they will go for the chickens if you catch my drift!
:eek:

PREDATOR PROOFING. I cannot stress enough. If you have gaps in their nighttime enclosure, you risk losing them. We just recently had an issue losing our beloved female duck to a massive chicken snake. Set yourself a game camera or nest cam up on the pen or inside the coop to check out potential issues. We also get giant gopher rats trying to get into our feed, so try and keep feed contained where you can remove it at night and not invite little buggers in there. Where mice and rats end up, snakes follow. We also used to get raccoons and possum alot, but responsible trapping helps. That is a good opportunity to learn about tanning!

Remember, duckies love the water and love to swim. Have yourself a setup easily cleanable. =)

Anybody here live in Alabama?
caf.gif

I live in Robertsdale
cool.png
ya.gif
I live in Opelika!!!

Just getting some outter band activity.. Nothing bad. Still watching the track of the storm. I've got my head covered and my babies are wondering around at will. A little drizzle doesn't seem to bother them.

Just getting some outter band activity.. Nothing bad. Still watching the track of the storm. I've got my head covered and my babies are wondering around at will. A little drizzle doesn't seem to bother them.
How's the weather where you are? Just rain here

Back
Top Bottom